ONTAP Discussions

SnapMirror without replicate Local Snapshots?

netappmagic

When Snapmirror a volume, it will also replicate all SnapShots over to DR filer.

Is there anyway I can ignore these SnapShots, or move them to somewhere else without replicating over?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

aborzenkov

If you run 8.3.1 you should be able to use version-flexible SnapMirror with sm_created label. Otherwise SnapVault is probably the only option.

netappmagic

Thanks a lot! 

we are using 8.3p2. Can it support "version-flexible SnapMirror with sm_created label"?  

If not, Can we temporrarily use SV to replace SM? then I don't have to replicate all SSs?

The issue here is that there are too many local SnapShots on Primary, and out of the space on DR, so, by not replicate SSs, I can save the space on DR.

Looking forward to hear you again

mikkisse

Hello!

For this task i think you can use SnapVault with snapmirror policy and snapmirror label. SV will transfer only labeled snapshots and not your local. 

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1366832/html/snapmirror/policy/add-rule.html

netappmagic

It sounds you are auggesting to use SV to replaced SM, then will SV play the same role as SM play on DR for DR purpose?

Also, these SSs are created by SMVI not by OnTap Snapshots policy, so, not sure if SM / SV can recognize these SSs...

aborzenkov

It sounds you are auggesting to use SV to replaced SM, then will SV play the same role as SM play on DR for DR purpose?

This depends on your use case. They behave differently w.r.t. cascading and even if reversing SV relationship is possible in cDOT, it is more involved than using SM. Of course, various add-on tools that manage relationships may support only specific type (SM or SV) as well.

Public