ONTAP Discussions

SnapProtect Tape Copy from Snapvault Secondary doesn't work

ASCHUEPBACH

Hello Community

I have a project with a primary site and a backup site.

On the primary site the backup are created with local snapshots and snapvaulted to the secondary site over wan.

On the backup site i have a physical MA an the Tapelibrary is directly connected.

The backup copy from the cifs policy from the snapvault volume works well.

But Vmware and SQL doesn't work

First Vmware

I have a separate ESX Host on the secondary Site managed through the vCenter from the primary site.

The performance on the Secondary is well, with my manual Tests (created) Flexvol and mounted to the ESX Host and copied one Server to local storage

Now I would like copy the tape through an alternate  VSA Proxy (MA with Library) and ESX proxy pull it.

I set the registry key sProxyESX.

When I start the copy job, I see on the console that the NetApp volumes are cloned and the NFS export with the correct IP from ESXProxy be edited.

But then nothing happens …. after a while, the Flexvols deleted and the job is goes to Pending.

In the message window from the job i find the message "failed to map snaps", and a message that you should set the registry key: nIscsiEnable but I don't need this key because the Datastore to backup is NFS.

Second SQL

Here I have about the same phenomenon:

In the job proxy to Tape = MA defined by Library on the MA is a SQL Agent as a SQL Server OS W2K8R2 installed.

Again, I think after the start of the copy that a FlexClone is triggered and then nothing happens after a while is the FlexVol deleted and the job goes to Pending. In the message window will then "Unable to clone LUN from snap".
I've Tried manually mount i.o. ISCSI initiator is registered on the Secondary FAS. Also I have used the registry entry sSNAP_UseINITIATOR without success. Next, I tested and omitted the proxy, then a iSCSI error because the client has no access to the Secondary.

What I'm doing wrong?

Something missed?

Any hints?

pleas help me

Andy

3 REPLIES 3

aborzenkov

ASCHUEPBACH

Hi

thank you for the input some messages in the job log are identical, but I think this is not the issue

perhaps it helps

Iwill check tomorrow when I'm onsite

EDDYATFIT

Hi Andy,

did I get you right, that the VSA in the secondary site is a physical VSA and you have NFS datastores? I think in this scenario you need to have a VM in hotadd mode in the secondary site. See "Deployment Scenarios" in the following link:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/prod_info/virtual_server.htm?var1=http://documentation.commvault....

Kind regards

Eddy

Public