ONTAP Discussions

SnapVault Error while trying to re-sync the replication no base snapshot exists

NAYABSK

Hi All,

My snapshot has failed as we have deleted the base snapshot due to space concern now we want to snapvault the qtree's again what will be the best method to achieve this as we dont have base snapshot now. Please advise. have tried     snapvault start -r -S ---> But didnt help much as this command failing due to no base snapshot found.

Thanks,

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cscott

Hello Nayab,

Without the base snapshot, the only option you have is to re-initialize the vault transfer.  From the sound of things, you might not have the space to re-baseline this volume without running into further space issues.

Without the baseline snapshot, the controllers have no way to resync a vault, because they have no common point of reference to exchange the information.  "snapvault start -r -S" will only work if they have that common snapshot.

-Scott

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

cscott

Hello Nayab,

Without the base snapshot, the only option you have is to re-initialize the vault transfer.  From the sound of things, you might not have the space to re-baseline this volume without running into further space issues.

Without the baseline snapshot, the controllers have no way to resync a vault, because they have no common point of reference to exchange the information.  "snapvault start -r -S" will only work if they have that common snapshot.

-Scott

NAYABSK

Hi Scott,

So, Now i have to initialize it again using the command  "snapvault start -S " right ??

Thanks,

Nayab

JAFFERALI86

Hi Nayab,

If I am not wrong, Yep you need to start(initialize) the relationship with the same command which you mentioned earlier. Also help me to check the snapvault status on your secondary. If the base snapshot is deleted then there won't be any relationship found in your secondary filer(snapvault filer) for this primary volume.

Regards,
Jaffer Ali

NAYABSK

Hi Jaffer,

But if i have a base snapshot on the destination will that helps ??

Thanks,

Nayab

JAFFERALI86

Hi Nayab,

As per my understandings it won't help. But please double confirm with experts. We should have the last snapvaulted snapshot in the primary. Can you try updating the snapvault after creating a manual snapshot ?

Thanks and Regards,

Jaffer Ali

NAYABSK

Hi Jaffer,

Sure , will do as we will be performing the snapvault first 1week of every month will do and let you know.

Thanks,

Nayab

cscott

Nayab,

Jaffer is correct, both sides of a snapvault relationship must have a common snapshot to work from or you need to initialize the relationship, one side does not help unfortunately.

-Scott

Public