ONTAP Discussions

SnapVault question: Should snapshots be disabled on destination volume?

rh
Hi My environment is: 2 x FAS3240 controllers running 8.1.3 7-mode My question is: Should snapshots be disabled on a volume that is being used as the destination of two SnapVault relationships? I am asking because I often see messages such as "Destination requested snapshot that does not exist on the source" . Running a "snapvault update" from CLI gets the relationship back in sync but I wondered if having snapshots enabled (with the default 0 2 6 pattern) could be causing problems?? Regards, Richard.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JGPSHNTAP

Ok, so a few things..   How are you doing your snapvaults, are you having DFM protection manager control your policies, or are you doing them directly from the command line.

As per the snapvault best practice guide, all destination snaps should be disabled, snap sched volname 0

Snapvaults should be controlling when the snapshot gets taken, that's how it works.

so for example, a snapvault that is controled from DFM initiates a snapvault transfer and then takes an preserves a snapshot based on the policy you set.

If you aren't using DFM, then it's done from the CLI with retention policy.  The whole point of snapvault is that it replicates data and then takes a snapshot... volume snapshots on the destination via snap sched are not a good idea.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JGPSHNTAP

Ok, so a few things..   How are you doing your snapvaults, are you having DFM protection manager control your policies, or are you doing them directly from the command line.

As per the snapvault best practice guide, all destination snaps should be disabled, snap sched volname 0

Snapvaults should be controlling when the snapshot gets taken, that's how it works.

so for example, a snapvault that is controled from DFM initiates a snapvault transfer and then takes an preserves a snapshot based on the policy you set.

If you aren't using DFM, then it's done from the CLI with retention policy.  The whole point of snapvault is that it replicates data and then takes a snapshot... volume snapshots on the destination via snap sched are not a good idea.

rh
JGPSHNTAP, many thanks for the clear response. As the "pattern" of snapshots on the destination volume is the default one, I was guessing that whoever set up the volume just "went with the defaults". Happy New Year, Richard.
Public