ONTAP Discussions

Snaplock Compliance aggregate

netapping

I made snaplock compliance aggregate with ONTAP 9.1 ,and create volume in the compliance aggregate.
Then  I halted ONTAP  to initialize all disks using boot menu No.4 , but it couldn't be initialized.
All aggrigate including compliance aggregate is still remained.
Root volume is initialized yet.

I'd like to know How  the compliance aggregate disks  are initialized , and is it possible to reuse them?

Disk 0b.00.10 is part of a SnapLock Compliance volume. It will not be overwritten or formatte
 Disk 0a.00.9 is part of a SnapLock Compliance volume. It will not be overwritten or formatted

The document "Technical FAQ SnapLock ONTAP9.0 and 9.1"  says

"When all the WORM data has expired in a SnapLock Compliance volume, the volume can be
deleted."
"SnapLock flexible volumes on an aggregate are deleted, the aggregate can also be delete"

Technical FAQ
SnapLock
ONTAP 9.0 and 9.1
Siddharth Agrawal, NetApp
Version 1.1

Some volumes are still remaied on the disks and I can't delete them.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

netapping

I tried zeroing disks on the server(IBM system x 3650) using erasing tool ,and it failed.
All process of zeroing were finished with no-fatal errors ,but the following scsi error occured.
 ---
 * fail scsi Disk IBM ServerRAID MF5015 2.12 837GiB(898GB) 001709a72368e8c820d0251F04b
 ---

But this trouble was solved by other way.
Compliance aggregate was deleted with following ontap command .

::*>volume lost-found show
::*>volume lost-found delete -node "nodename" -dsid "DSID"
::*>run -node "nodename" aggr offline "aggr name"
::*>aggr remove-stale-record -aggregate "aggr name" -nodename "nodename"

off course it is necessary every files in compliance volumes are expired,now all of the drives are able to be reused .

In case some drive is not expired, it's impossible to be reused.

thanks,

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Sahana

Hi,

If you do not set the retention time explicitly before committing a Compliance-mode file to the WORM state, and you do not modify the defaults, the file will be retained for 30 years.

Ref page 12: https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMLP2507748

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

netapping

I set the max retention time 1 minute before createting test files.  And all files had been expired before hating .

But root volume was initialized, while compliance aggregate was not .

I don't know how to delete volumes and the compliance  aggregate without root volume .

If the disks woulb be set to other node, "aggr show" results  no entry . volumes are not shown either.

I would like to know how to delte them.  Is it possible or not ?

thanks,

skneo

Is the delted compl volume shown under  "volume recovery-queue show" ?

netapping

No,  Initialized Volume is SVM's root volume in the normal aggregate.

Because it is impossible to create SVM's root volume in the compliance aggregate,

I made it in the normal aggregate.

Sahana

Hi,

Refer page 28 on the link: https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMLP2507748

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

netapping

I can't do it in the comand line.

Because SVM was deleted when initializing a normal data aggregate.

I didn't make an enterprise aggregate but a  compliance aggregate.

And the priviledged delete is performed only in Enterprise mode  according to that reference In the page 26, you know.

Thanks,

AlexDawson

We make it very difficult to remove snaplock data - on purpose.

Assuming the system is not under support or in production, at this point I would suggest pulling the disks containing the aggr out of the system and zeroing them on a linux system (ensuring you use correct block sizes), and you should be able to re-use them after doing a zero spares. Never done it myself, but I know we check for a certain signature on the disks to determine if they are snaplock.

netapping

Pulling the disks containing the aggr out of the system  is worth considering .

I’m not certain this method will be successfull ,

I would like to try it after the people interested  would agree to this proposal.

thanks,

netapping

I tried zeroing disks on the server(IBM system x 3650) using erasing tool ,and it failed.
All process of zeroing were finished with no-fatal errors ,but the following scsi error occured.
 ---
 * fail scsi Disk IBM ServerRAID MF5015 2.12 837GiB(898GB) 001709a72368e8c820d0251F04b
 ---

But this trouble was solved by other way.
Compliance aggregate was deleted with following ontap command .

::*>volume lost-found show
::*>volume lost-found delete -node "nodename" -dsid "DSID"
::*>run -node "nodename" aggr offline "aggr name"
::*>aggr remove-stale-record -aggregate "aggr name" -nodename "nodename"

off course it is necessary every files in compliance volumes are expired,now all of the drives are able to be reused .

In case some drive is not expired, it's impossible to be reused.

thanks,

AlexDawson

Thanks for the update - glad you got it sorted out!

Public