ONTAP Discussions

Snapmanager SQL cluster setup verification server needed

ericbijtelaar

Hi,

We have a sql setup on a windows cluster and now we installed snapmanager but we need to specify a verification server.

I know the verification server needs to be outside of the cluster. My understanding is that this is because if one node goes done and you specified that as your verification host the setup will not work anymore??

So if we have an extra sql instance what would be needed?? 1 more snapmanager license?? or can we do without??

Thanks
Eric

7 REPLIES 7

BrendonHiggins

We have an SMSQL site license on the filer so we do not have a license per SMSQL box. Have a look at your licenses on the filer, type license at the cli and look for smsql. You will also need a SQL server license for the verification box.

Check our this SMSQL doc

http://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-1867

Don't forget to rate it, if you like the doc.

Hope this helps

Brendon

ericbijtelaar

Hi Brendon,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you tell me why the verification instance needs snapmanager installed??

And is there a way of avoiding this? or would that mean no verification?

Thanks again,

Eric

radek_kubka

From what I remember you do need SnapDrive on the verification server (to allow mounting a snapshot) & SnapManager is probably not required, as you are not running fully blown app there, but only a verification utility.

(Someone correct me please if I am talking rubbish)

Regards,

Radek

ericbijtelaar

That would be great if that is the case.. anyone has a link available for best practices were you can find this information??

Thanks

Eric

radek_kubka

Eric,

Actually, I was talking rubbish about licensing requirement on the verification server:

As per this doc, http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/SnapManager/relsmsql50/html/software/admin/preinst8.htm#1004778, you need both SnapDrive and SMSQL licences.

So, this is the bad news.

The good news is (looking at the same page further down):

"The SQL Server used for database verification cannot be a virtual SQL Server. However, a local SQL Server instance installed on one of the MSCS nodes can be used for database verification."

Regards,

Radek

donaldmann

Has anyone tried to point SMSQL to one of the 2 physical nodes in a cluster as a verification host?  We were thinking of using the passive node for verification, but I cannot get it to point to either of the 2 nodes.  The nodes only respond as the cluster resource - do I need to do something special to enable this?

"The SQL Server used for database verification cannot be a virtual SQL Server. However, a local SQL Server instance installed on one of the MSCS nodes can be used for database verification."

geoffbates

We are using SMSQL on a 3 + 1 cluster (3 active, one for failover). I installed a local version of SQL on the failover server, and use that to verify any of the databases on the cluster. It has to be a physical node to allow SnapDrive to mount the snapshots of the LUNs it has just snapped. I don't know if we will have to pause the verification instance if something fails over to there, as we have not stress tested the configuration yet.

Public