ONTAP Discussions

Snapmirror for volume conatining luns

RAJATGARG

I want to do snapmirror for volume which contains luns for Vmware . One of my volume contains six luns . The snapshots on the volume are disabled and snap reserve is set to zero.

If I initiate a snapmirror of the above volume my understanding is that an instant snapshot will be created and the data will be replicated to other site . Now my concern is if a snapshot

is created for volume conatining luns by netapp will it be consistent ? Is there any alternate way to do the snapmirror for volume conating VM luns?

5 REPLIES 5

aborzenkov

If created from NetApp side, snapshot will not be application consistent. To get application consistent snapshot, it must be coordinated with host. You will need to put applications in consistent state on host and then create snapshot.

If you are using VMware, one possibility is to use Snap Manager for Virtual Infrastructure (I believe, today it is part of VSC). It can create consistent snapshot and initiate SnapMirror update.

RAJATGARG

Thanks .. That is what I was thinking but I was not sure unitil you answerd my query.

RICCO4400

My 2 cents

Yes now SMVI is part of VSC (Backup recovery tab)

But I think to have an application consistent usin VSS +snap , the application must have its VSS writer.

With Windows VM and application like SQL, Exchange, it should be ok, but if you're using other applications, check if they are "VSS aware"

radek_kubka

...and you need to check the box to do VMware snapshot prior to NetApp snapshot - VSS is invoked by this.

RAJATGARG

Thanks Guys . Your suggestions are of great help ..

Public