ONTAP Discussions

Snapmirror snapshot in destination volume in use, cannot delete

michaeldmills

Hi everyone.  I'm encountering a problem with one of our volume snapmirrors.  This is a snapmirror from (src) a FAS2040 to (dst) a FAS2020.  Both are running ONTAP 7.3.6.  When I first encountered the problem, I tried to queisce, break the relationship , and then delete the offending snapshot.  However, after I break the snapmirror, it takes an incredibly long time just to run snap list against the volume.  I tried to restrict the volume at that point to delete and recreate, but I get errors of "The following prevents restrict of the volume" and snap delta zapi snap delta listed.  If I leave it alone for a few hours, I am then able to restrict the volume, offline, and delete.

I then create a new volume, create the snapmirror and initialize.  It completes and remains snapmirrored for about 8 hours, and then it breaks again.  I have had this happen consistently for the last few days and I'm out of ideas.  I'm hoping to tap into the wealth of knowledge the many good individuals here in the NetApp Communities possess.

Thanks in advance for the help!

- Mike

2 REPLIES 2

aborzenkov

I am afraid I missed the actual problem. Do you mean that snapmirror session unexpectedly stops? At least, that is how I interpret

It completes and remains snapmirrored for about 8 hours, and then it breaks again

michaeldmills

I apologize as I didn't give a good explanation.  So the snapmirror status shows as snapmirrored.  When I do a snapmirror status -l volname, it shows for the status as "replication transfer failed to complete".

This time around I was able to quiesce and break the mirror, then wait till the pending status of snap delta and zapi snap delta completed.  I then was able to resync the snapmirror.  I'll update this post within the next 12 hours to see if the same behavior occurs. 

Public