ONTAP Discussions

Snapshot and snapmirror snapshot schedule

1VINAYKUMAR

Hi Guys,

Just want to know, what if the schedule of snapshot and snapmirror snapshot occurs at the same time. which snapshot will take place first.

regards

VK

5 REPLIES 5

richard_payne

So snapmirror snapshots are generated 'on request', since it's pull based. The destination asks for an update from the source. I'm not sure if you're talking about snapshots on the destination (only with qtree snapmirror) or on the source. I would guess that the 'local' snapshot will occur first given that the destiantion has to ask for a snapmirror update and that would add a little latency to the operation. Now would I guarantee it'll always happen that way? Nope 😉

--rdp

1VINAYKUMAR

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.. just would like to clear the concept. since the snapmirror snapshots are created on request and if the on the same time the normal snapshots are scheduled to create. does it mean the normal snapshot will be created first and the same will be replicated using snapmirror. its a bit confusing for me but if you can elaborate it would be helpful.

regards

VK

richard_payne

"does it mean the normal snapshot will be created first and the same will be replicated using snapmirror."

No, snapmirror will create it's own snapshot. As other have said as well, you're trying something which really doesn't have a defined behavior. You are much better off staggering the schedules so there's no chance of them conflicting.

--rdp

aborzenkov
There is no inherent synchronization between the two schedules. I think, if two snapshots are attempted at exactly the same second, one of them may fail. T is always better to schedule so that they do not overlap.

PIYUSHBANSAL198722

As per my experience, snapmirror update will fail on the time local snapshot is scheduled

Public