ONTAP Discussions

Snapvault Archiving

pradeepraul

Hello,

I have a solution where a FilerA is backed up to a DR site secondary filer FilerB through snapmirror.

The secondary FilerB is then backed up to another filer FilerC through snapvault.

The primary and the snapmirror destination both has 112 hourly snapshots (2 a day).

I would like to keep 7 dailies and 12 monthly snapshots and 7 yearly snapshots in the snapvault destination FilerC.

Can it be achieved and if so how?

I have read through the backup and recovery guide and it doesn't mention anywhere about keeping monthly snapshots. Is it possible to do it or I just have to keep 52 weeklys a year.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

SUDHEER_H21

I see scheduling snapvault snapshots this way:  snapvault snap sched -x vol1 sv_weekly 1@sat@19.

There are weekly, nightly and hourly snapvault snapshots available to create. I don't see any scheduling done monthly.

Cheers,

Sudheer.

pradeepraul

Is there any solution to keep monthly snapshots if I want to use it as an archive apart from manually doing it?

Thanks

Pradeep

SUDHEER_H21

You can think of using tape backup to create tape archives. Tape Backup has it's own pros and cons. Data backed up to tape requires fewer resources to maintain. Restoring data from tape might take a long time. You can recover data from any release of Data ONTAP. Please provide us the solution being deployed at your place.

Cheers,

Sudheer.

Public