ONTAP Discussions

Snapvault between 32 bit aggregate to 64 bit aggregate

sunilvarghese1

Hi,

How can I snapvault the qtree residing on a 32-bit aggregate using Ontap 8.0.1 to a qtree residing on a 64-bit aggregate with Ontap 8.0.1. If it is possible to do, then what are the pros and cons of this approach.

I am also hoping to run inline compression on the snapvault filer.

regards

Sunil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

If you plan on doing ndmp backups from the snapvault filer, check the BURT out before implementing (and there is a PVR process to approve compression too) since there is an issue (I don't see fixed in 8.0.2 yet either) with ndmp dumps on compressed volumes.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

aborzenkov

You just create snapvault relationship as usual. SnapVault between 32 and 64 bit aggregates is fully supported. I do not see any pros and cons specifically related to large aggregates.

Of course you can enable compression on SV secondary if you have correspondent license.

scottgelb

If you plan on doing ndmp backups from the snapvault filer, check the BURT out before implementing (and there is a PVR process to approve compression too) since there is an issue (I don't see fixed in 8.0.2 yet either) with ndmp dumps on compressed volumes.

aborzenkov

Does compression need PVR? I thought it was released in 8.0.1.

scottgelb

still needs a pvr for the key but should be no pvr with 8.1 later this year.

sunilvarghese1

Hi Scott,

What is the impact of flexclone and mounting the snapvaulted compressed volumes to a server and then sending it to backups to  tape. When it is read sequentially will it uncompress the data and then send to tape where it is compressed via the backup software?

scottgelb

NDMP (dump) will uncompress the data, but because of the BURT don't do local NDMP backups of a compressed volume since it is a severity 1 bug listed as data corruption https://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=485411    Since a flexclone would also be compressed data, the issue would still exist since it is still compressed data on disk.  The workarouds are in the link to either use 3-way ndmp (no tape on the fas controller with the compressed volume), snapmirror to tape or not use ndmp.  NDMP/dump will read sequentially and uncompress.

Public