ONTAP Discussions

Space not freed up within volume after LUN delete

STEFANDELFS

Hi,

we are running FAS3240 with Data Ontap 8.1.4 7-Mode.

Just using FC-connected hosts.

We have one LUN per vol - all thin, DeDup enabled

Now I have deleted a whole LUN with system manager but space is not freed up within the volume...

Furthermore it is said that there are 92 files withion the volume but we just used it for that specific (now deleted) LUN...

What are those files?

Can i get the capacity back or do I have to delete the volume?

No snapshots in use.

Thanks in advance

regards

/

7 REPLIES 7

rwelshman

it ususally takes some time for the space to be reclaimed when deleting large luns / volumes, if you look on the command line of the filer, doing a df -g on the volume, do you see any decrease?

STEFANDELFS

Hi,

thank you for your answers!

Indeed there was an increase of free space after several days.

But now the status is strange - I think:

Filesystem               total       used      avail capacity  Mounted on

/vol/XXX_LUN1_vol/    15835GB       13GB    11316GB      29%  /vol/XXX_LUN1_vol/
/vol/XXX_LUN1_vol/.snapshot        0GB        0GB        0GB     ---%  /vol/XXX_LUN1_vol/.snapshot

So it is said that there is 13 GB used but just 11316GB free although the vol has a size of 15835GB.

Any ideas?

Thanks

/

pavila

If you do a 'aggr show_space -g' you'll see where all the storage is being used.

rwelshman

The amount of free space that you are seeing is likely the available space in the containing aggregate. You can have a volume larger than an aggregate using thin provisioning, but the amount of available space will be restricted to the max size of the aggr.

scottgelb

agreed with above...block reclamation runs in the background... but also check if any snapshots that need to roll off.  You will not get the space back until snapshots with the lun are rolled off or deleted.

pavila
A lot depends on how the volume & lun are setup. Storage efficiency like fractional Reserve, thin provisioning, dedupe, compression, etc.

Sahana

Hi

Refer KB https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=3014144 to know more on the space utilization in SAN.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public