these drive as above are spare

when i try to create a storage pool i get the message:

(not enough disks)

4.JPG

so online help directs me to create via cli:

storage pool create -storage-pool SP1 -disk-list 1.0.1,1.0.2,1.0.3,1.0.0

Error: command failed: Disk "1.0.1" cannot be shared. Reason: Disk is not

partitionable.

can any body direct me on how to setup the ssd cache on this device?

15 REPLIES 15

scottgelb

With Storage Pools, we need a physical spare... with 4x SSD, create the pool with 3 disks.  Then you have 1 spare.  Then modify the aggregate with hdd "aggr modify -hybrid-enabled true" then "aggr add-disks -storage-pool spname -allocation-units xx" to assign allocation units... 2 per node available by default in the HA-Pair (4 allocation units total).

adencool

aborzenkov

Any chance those disks are already partitioned (probably, during installation)?

You cannot use SSDs that have been partitioned for root-data partitioning in a storage pool

scottgelb

Good question..check if in use already...or could also be disk assigment.. shared by both nodes, but to start check where they are assigned.

adencool

disks as per image above, 2 per controller

scottgelb

Let's go check the CLI. What is the output of storage aggregate show-spare-disks ?

adencool

n8.JPG

scottgelb

You can create the 3 drive storage pool from the CLI... you have 1 virtual spare for data and root so all set there with the aggregate already.

adencool

it wont let me creat it unless ive got the command wrong?

n10.JPG

scottgelb

what version ontap? system image show or version output.  Also make sure the disk qualification file is installed..

One other thing...did you disable ssd partitions?  From the loader printenv setenv allow-ssd-partitions?  or from the diag systemshell, kenv | grep setenv allow-ssd-partitions?

adencool

NH-SAN-netapp::> system image show
                 Is      Is                                Install
Node     Image   Default Current Version                   Date
-------- ------- ------- ------- ------------------------- -------------------
NH-SAN-netapp-01
         image1  true    true    8.3P1                     9/17/2015 20:45:26
         image2  false   false   8.2.3                     10/12/2015 11:18:48
NH-SAN-netapp-02
         image1  true    true    8.3P1                     9/17/2015 20:45:14
         image2  false   false   8.2.3                     10/12/2015 11:18:52
4 entries were displayed.

disk qualification file was installed (before i zeroed the disk, made no difference)

not change anything with the loader!

i have noticed this thou:

NH-SAN-netapp::> storage aggregate show-spare-disks -disk-type SSD

Original Owner: NH-SAN-netapp-01
 Pool0
  Spare Pool

Usable Physical
 Disk                        Type     RPM Checksum           Size     Size Status
 --------------------------- ----- ------ -------------- -------- -------- --------
 1.0.1                       SSD        - block           372.4GB  372.6GB zeroed
 1.0.3                       SSD        - block           372.4GB  372.6GB zeroed

Original Owner: NH-SAN-netapp-02
 Pool0
  Spare Pool

Usable Physical
 Disk                        Type     RPM Checksum           Size     Size Status
 --------------------------- ----- ------ -------------- -------- -------- --------
 1.0.0                       SSD        - block           372.4GB  372.6GB zeroed

Original Owner: NH-SAN-netapp-02
 Pool0
  Spare Pool

Usable Physical
 1.0.2                       SSD        - block           372.4GB  372.6GB zeroed
4 entries were displayed.

scottgelb

I don't see why it isn't letting you create the pool.. .the listing of 2 then 1 and 1 might just be the output scroll.. run "rows 0" then see the output again.  I would try to assign the drives to one node then create the pool.. and open a case to see what the error is... I haven't seen that on any install yet.  If no environment loader setenv change, it has to be something simple we are missing here.

adencool

well at a final roll of the dice, i upgraded to 8.3.1

and its now worked!!!!! so all i can conclude that there must be a bug in 8.3p1?

scottgelb

likely was... I would upgrade to 8.3.1P1 since it just posted..

adencool

so, as this is a blocker to putting data on the system (i want it working correctly before it goes into production) i decided to zero the disk and setup a fresh

went thru the setup again and its the same as before!

as in setup, i selected the option as below, so no the disk should not be partioned

n5.JPG

Public