ONTAP Discussions

Support for Snapmirror compression in Protection Manager

rickymartin

I've been poking around in the documentation and my Protection Manager 3.8, and I cant see any way of getting protection manager to support the new link compression feature of OnTAP 7.3.2. Are there any undocumented tweaks or workarounds ?

For example If I import a relationship that I've set up manually with the compression flag set, does that get preserved, or does the act of importing the relationship remove the compression capability

If there are no current workarounds, are we planning on creating a patch to 3.8, or do we need to wait for a new  full release of DFM, if so, which one 3.9, 4.0, 4.1 .... ?

Regards

John

7 REPLIES 7

adaikkap

Hi Martin,

Starting DFM 3.8 while importing a VSM relationship into protection manger we don't remove the snapmirror.conf entries anymore.

1.Having said that coming to your case, if you have an compression enabled VSM relationship set in filer and import the same then we do support it,

provided the hostPreferredAddr1 or hostPreferredAddr2 is not set for both the source and destination filers.

So the answers is we have an workaround in 3.8 of supporting compression by the way of importing a compression enabled VSM relationship

and the above said opiton not being set in the source and destination filer in operations manager.

2.If any one of the options is set on both the source and destination filer then in that case the compression is not supported even in case of

imported compression enabled VSM  relationships .

So  now suggestion with respect to 1.

Create the snapmirror connection with compression enabled and scheduled set to none, as when we import and PM starts running the updates you will only have

PM run schedules and not the filer run schedules.This will save you snapshots and unnecessary transfers happening other what you intended (meaning updates run

by both PM and filer) though the filer run update snaphot wont be visible in your restore wizard of PM as we did not take it.

Regards

adai

stjerna

Bumping this thread to see if there is an answer to the "what version" question....

What version of Protection Manager will support setting up and manage a Snapmirror relationship with compression?

Thanks,

Erik

adaikkap

As of today not targeted to any particular release,

May come in next release, not sure.

Regards

adai

xavierb

Hi all

I am wondering if there is any new features on the recent release that could do compression with PM ?

Thanks in advance

regards

Xavier

adaikkap

Hi Xavier,

Still the same case remains.

Pls follow my response dated Oct 15, 2009 12:15 AM to work with compression in Protection Manager.

Regards

adai

xavierb

thanks

thomasholbrook

Bump for Compression support..

Public