ONTAP Discussions

The term exports is mentioned with a exports file and file system.

tvlport_tony

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to the hardware and software side of Netapp storage. I have taken some online classes, however some tings have not been metioned for the classes I have taken, like (Exports). I have been performing some tasks while working with co-workers and watching them setup up vfilers. During the course of the processes I hear the term exports. The term is not in-line of what I think as exporting files or maybe it is. If anyone out there can give me a short version of this concept I would really appreciate it. I have been doing a lot of reading on this architecture and I'm very excited to learn and develope myself around it, but I'm not there yet.

Thank you all in advance for your responses.

2 REPLIES 2

DavidSpano

Before a NFS filesystem can be accessed by a NFS client, the NFS server must export the filesystem. The filesystem can be a volume (/vol/vol1), a qtree (/vol/vol1/qtree) or a directory (/vol/vol1/qtree/dir1).

Before the filesystem can be accessed,

1. it must be created: vol create vol1 10g

2. a entry must be added to the /etc/exports file on the filer's root volume. The entry might look like: /vol/vol1 -rw=host1:host2,root=host1

3. then the "exportfs" command must be run on the filer: exportfs -a

Now the NFS client host can mount the filesystem: host1# mount filer1:/vol/vol1 /mnt

You can read more by running the "man" command on the filer: man exportfs

tvlport_tony

I really appreciate the help on this, I will apply that man command and verify the results. Also, after reading your explanation and checking the manual it makes a lot more sense.

Thanks again and have a great New Year.

Tony W

Public