ONTAP Discussions

There are not enough spare disks.

Harrish

Hi Guys,

Just recently i took incharge of this Netapp storage server at my office. Previously was maintain by someone. 

My problem is, I cant copy data into /vol/ftdata volume. The usage is at 71%. The warning message as below. 

Arregates detail and snapshot of error are attached. Please advise what i should do? 

System Status

There are not enough spare disks. /aggr0/plex0/rg0: Please add spare disks supporting block checksums with minimum size: Used 272000/557056000 (MB/blks) /vol/ftdata is full (using or reserving 71% of space and 98% of inodes, using 71% of reserve). Disk s
3 REPLIES 3

Harrish

I have increased the inode limit, now the warning message is different. May be i need to refer the past discussions that posted in this forum previously.

If anyone have more better ideas, please reply to me. 

System Status

There are not enough spare disks. /aggr0/plex0/rg0: Please add spare disks supporting block checksums with minimum size: Used 272000/557056000 (MB/blks) Disk shelf fault.

NHANAS_RS

The warning message you are receiving includes multiple comments, in other words, a summary of alerts\notices. 

One of those notices is that you do not have enough spare disks in the system. in the cli, type, "Options raid.min_spare_count" which will show you the value of minimum spare disks for that system - this is configurable. If you have less spare disks in the system than what is configured in that option then this condition will trigger the alert you are seeing regarding minimum spare disks. 

The other message you are seeing is that the volume shown is 71% full to capacity and 98% of inodes used(which is kind of like meta data on each file stored - and it obviously has a limit). When you increased the inode count on that volume how much more did you increase it by? (what is the current value?) And what is the new message you are receiving since you increase the inode count - you mentioned there was a new message. 

rwelshman

You have a failed disk and no spares? You will need to replace the failed disk and possible install some additional spare disks. Can you provide a sysconfig -a from the filer?

Also, can you provide the size of the containing aggregate?

Public