ONTAP Discussions

Thoroughly confused with SnapVault, Ops Manager, and the NMC

dwarburton

Hi all,

I'm trying to implement Snapvault to our 2050's (secondary) from our primaries (3050's and OSSV clients). I've tried a number of ways to create the relationships and am just not happy with any method yet. I have a couple of questions if you can bare with me...

I first tried to use Proection Manager via the Netapp Management Console. I created Datasets, protection policies and schedules. I put various OSSV clients in to a dataset and then applied a protection policy and a schedule. Essentially it worked but I'm just not happy with Protection Manager. It creates hideous snapshot names and the snapvault relationships seem to be recreated every night rather than performing a simple backup.

My biggest gripe, however, is that nothing ties in to Ops Manager. When logging on to the Ops Manager website datasets are non-existent and even schedules found there have nothing to do with those set in Protection Manager.

I was going to leave Protection Manager for now (possibly importing the relationships later) and use Ops Manager to create the SV relationship. With Ops Manager, at least, it seems to have schedules that you can apply to new SV relationships. Only thing is...when I try and create a relationship the schedule option is greyed out and I can't see anyway of applying a schedule to a relationship once it's been created.

I love the command line, so it really doesn't bother me having to use it. But what I'm trying to get is an easy to manage interface for other sys admins that aren't command line lovers. I am going to have a load of Vols on the 3050's to backup and 50+ OSSV clients (and I want to have a vol purely for System States and C drives to allow for good de-dupe ratios). Having to do EVERYTHING by the command line puts even me off.

Everything seems totally disparate from the command line, to Ops Manager, to Protection Manager. I feel like I'm missing a part of the puzzle and if someone could  explain it suddenly everything would make sense!

10 REPLIES 10
Public