ONTAP Discussions

Unable to activate dedup in a volume

satechelp

Hi,

I'm trying to activate  dedup in a volume of aggr0 in a FAS2050 with DataOntap 7.3.6

The error message is:

netapp01> sis on /vol/archivos

Volume or maxfiles exceeded max allowed for SIS: /vol/archivos

Volume is about 1.25 TB big and it is empty right now. And licenses are OK, I mean FAS2050 is licensed in deduplcation and Nearstore.

thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9

amiller_1

I'm guessing you mean ONTap 7.2.6? (as there's no 7.3.6 out)

If so, in 7.2.x releases the max dedup volume size for the 2050 is 1 TB......you'll want to upgrade to 7.3.2 to get up to 2 TB for the 2050.

kvinay

Please refer this link http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel724/pdfs/ontap/onlinebk.pdf ,page 434

gives you more information on the supported max dedup volume size.

Regards,

Vinay

igor

I've a similar problem with a certain volume on FAS2020:

netapp> sis on /vol/radni

exceeded Volume or maxfiles max allowed for SIS: /vol/radni

The dedupe limit was raised to 1 TB since DataONTAP 7.3.1. This system is running DataONTAP 7.3.2. so there shouldn't be a problem. Details about volume size are as follows:

===== DF =====
Filesystem              kbytes       used      avail capacity  Mounted on
/vol/radni/         1073741824  629369292  444372532      59%  /vol/radni/
/vol/radni/.snapshot  268435456   37339144  231096312      14%  /vol/radni/.snapshot

I'm aware that this limitation is also applies at the moment of creation of volumes, so I made sure that this colume was just 1TB, not more.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

BrendonHiggins

Was the volume much bigger than reduced in size?  Thinking max files and inodes remain at the higher levels.

Try making the volume a little bit smaller, ie 999 Gb and see if that fixes it.  It is set to be exactly 1 Tb is size currently.

Hope it helps

Bren

igor

No, the volume was created through FilerView to be exactly 1TB. I made no size changes to it because I haven't exceeded the size limit, or the max files limit (click on screenshot to see).

Also, I remember reading somewhere that the volume size at the time of creation is important. If you exceed the limit (e.g. 2TB volume) and than reduce the below the limit (e.g, 0.8 TB) it will still fail to perform dedupuplication...

I'll test this just to be sure.

igor

It workes! Thanx!

anthonyfeigl

Keep in mind that in OS pre 7.3, Ontap had to keep the Dedupe database in the volume.

It would seem to make sense with me that you need a little bit of extra room between the max limit volume size, in order to perform a dedupe, considering this.

Once you move to 7.3.1, most of the Dedupe database is keep in the Aggr, and volume max limit sizes are increased significantly.

Anthony

t_depetris

Do you know where I can find the deduplication limitation on a fas2040 running ONTAP 7.3.5 ?

t_depetris

I've find the response, 2 TB on this Netapp including the snapshot.

TD

Public