ONTAP Discussions

Understanding NetApp Networks and Spare drives.

RAJIV_NAIR

Hello Guys,

I am new to NetApp and would need your assistance in understanding few basics of NetApp :

1. Networking:

Eg. There are 4 network adapters in NetApp - e0a; e0b; e0c and e0d.

During the initiazation of the NetApp, I only assigned the value to e0a (say 192.168.1.3).

Now I need to team the rest of the network adapters and have a common IP (say 192.168.1.3).

How would we be able to do it ?

2. Spare Drives:

Eg. Suppose I have 10 drives in my aggr. Raid configured is RAID DP - therefore I have 1 drive for DP, 1 for Parity; 7 for Data and one Spare drive.

only 20% of the space is used.

Now one drive fails, the data is reconstructed on the spare drive... Now reconstruction got over successfully, however, the failed drive was not replaced with a new drive and during the meantime, one more drive failed... so what would be the status of the data now ???

-Rajiv

5 REPLIES 5

HARI_KRISHNA981

Hi Rajiv,

For networking configuration see the attached file " network management guide "

For the complete explanation of  Raid DP, refer the thread below

https://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-12850

Regards,

Hari.

RAJIV_NAIR

Hello Hari,

Thank you for your reply.

1. Could you plz share the link to the network management guide for my reference.

2. I have gone through the document about RAID DP, however, it does not answer my query

Eg. Suppose I have 9 drives in my aggr. Raid configured is RAID DP - therefore we have 1 drive for DP, 1 for Parity and 7 for Data. We have one Spare drive.

Consider only 20% of the total data space is used.

All I want to know is what would be the status of the data now ??? 1. Data inaccessable; 2. Data accessable but with degraded performance; 3. Data accessable and no issue with performance OR would it be some other case ???

-Rajiv

HARI_KRISHNA981

1. Could you plz share the link to the network management guide for my reference.

http://download.netapp.com/documentation/productlibrary/index.html?productID=30092

Suppose I have 9 drives in my aggr. Raid configured is RAID DP - therefore we have 1 drive for DP, 1 for Parity and 7 for Data. We have one Spare drive.

Consider only 20% of the total data space is used. Now one drive fails, the data is reconstructed on the spare drive... Now reconstruction got over successfully, however, the failed drive was not replaced with a new drive and during the meantime, one more drive failed... so what would be the status of the data now ???

All I want to know is what would be the status of the data now ??? 1. Data inaccessible; 2. Data accessible but with degraded performance; 3. Data accessible and no issue with performance OR would it be some other case ???

Answer would be 2.

According to the above scenario 

spare disks available = 1 ( 2 is always recommended)

Data disks =7

parity+dparity =2

In Raid dp, when double disk failure occurs and When a failed disk has no appropriate hot spare available, Data ONTAP puts the affected RAID group into degraded mode indefinitely and the storage system automatically shuts down within a specified time period. If the maximum number of disks have failed in a RAID group (two for RAID-DP, one for RAID4),the storage system automatically shuts down in the period of time specified by the raid.timeout option. The default timeout value is 24 hours.

Degraded modes operates for 24 hours, during which time:

Data is still available.

Performance is less-than-optimal

Data must be recalculated from parity until the failed disk is replaced

CPU usage increases to calculate from parity

For more info refer storage management guide which i have attached.

RAJIV_NAIR

Thank you for your repy Hari... This places my query on hold for now

-Rajiv

HARI_KRISHNA981

You r welcome !!!! rajiv

Public