ONTAP Discussions

Upgrade NetApp 8.1.1 7-Mode (FAS3070) to NetApp 9.0 (7-Mode)

AlK

Hello All,

We plan on upgrading our existing NetApp 8.1.1 (FAS3070) 7-Mode filer to NetApp 9.0 7-Mode. I know for a fact that there is no direct upgrade to NetApp 9.0 if we are running an earlier version than 8.3.X. First, you need to upgrade to NetApp 8.3.X and then upgrade to NetApp 9.0 or 9.1.

For this reason, we need to first upgrade to 8.3.X and then to 9.0 or 9.1

I have looked for KB articles and on the Internet as well but I could not find sufficient guides that guides you through NetApp 8.1.X 7-Mode upgrade  to NetApp 8.3 7-Mode.

Has anyone completed such upgrade in the past? Is there any KB articles or guides available or tools available?

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Al

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JGPSHNTAP

There is no way to do this. You can only go as far as 8.2.4 7-mode.

There is no 7-mode to ontap 9.

That's a refresh and upgrade of hardware

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JGPSHNTAP

There is no way to do this. You can only go as far as 8.2.4 7-mode.

There is no 7-mode to ontap 9.

That's a refresh and upgrade of hardware

AlK

Thank you for letting me know and correcting me JGPSHNTAP. That's probably why I could not find any articles on this.

We have a NetApp 8.3.5 C-mode but I do not want to upgrade that to NetApp 9.0 C-Mode.

SeanHatfield

The 3070 is a pretty old controller.  8.1.4P10 was the end of the line.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

AlexDawson

You can convert a system from ONTAP 7 mode to ONTAP 9 using "Copy Free Transition" - in this method, you purchase a new controller and attach the old disks to that. There are a lot of caveats and you should work with NetApp PS to perform it - but it is possible.

However, in many cases, due to increase in drive capacity or SSD performance, standing up a new ONTAP 9 system and performing data migration with the 7-Mode Transition Tool (7MTT) or Application level migrations such as Storage VMotion are likely more convenient choice.

Public