ONTAP Discussions

Upgrade ONTAP from 8.0.2 7-Mode and 8.1.2 7-Mode Help

rushan

Hello, I'm in serious need of advice.

I have two filers:

FAS3240 running ONTAP 8.0.2 7-Mode

FAS2240-4 running ONTAP 8.1.2 7-Mode

I have little to no experience with netapp products, neither does anyone else on my project (I suspect the previous admins did not either). We have recently upgraded our Domain Controllers to Server 2012 which I'm guessing is a culperate of our CIFS shares not working anymore. I'd like to upgrade to whatever version is best for a mixed security environment. We have some volumes that I would like accessable from windows and unix. Any advice or help would be appreciated. I tried opening a support ticket but our corporate purchasing department doesn't make support registration easy 😞

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shatfield

Assuming you have support, you just need your NOW account associated with your company and your filer serial numbers.  Use the serial numbers to open a non-technical case to work through whatever account issues are preventing you from opening a technical case.

On the subject of upgrades, there are many considerations coming from such an old release in a production environment.  Its not something you want to attempt on your own if you are new to the NetApp platforms.  Professional assistance would be a very good idea (to be clear, I work for a professional services organization).

If you go it on your own, make sure to get upgrade advisor reports and thouroughly review the upgrade/revert guide for your target version.  Coming from 8.0.2, look at moving both arrays to 8.1.4P8.  Pause there and carefully evaluate the impact of other components in your environment before going to 8.2.3P1.  You will want to become very familiar with the IMT as it relates to everything else you have touching the arrays.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JGPSHNTAP

I would recommend that you contact netapp support if you don't have any Netapp experience.

When you say you have shares that are both accessed via from windows/unix, what are your qtrees.  type qtree at the command prompt

I would highly recommend you upgrade to the latest 8.2.3P1, but there are certain factors that you need to take into account.  You must get an upgrade advisor from netapp.

shatfield

Assuming you have support, you just need your NOW account associated with your company and your filer serial numbers.  Use the serial numbers to open a non-technical case to work through whatever account issues are preventing you from opening a technical case.

On the subject of upgrades, there are many considerations coming from such an old release in a production environment.  Its not something you want to attempt on your own if you are new to the NetApp platforms.  Professional assistance would be a very good idea (to be clear, I work for a professional services organization).

If you go it on your own, make sure to get upgrade advisor reports and thouroughly review the upgrade/revert guide for your target version.  Coming from 8.0.2, look at moving both arrays to 8.1.4P8.  Pause there and carefully evaluate the impact of other components in your environment before going to 8.2.3P1.  You will want to become very familiar with the IMT as it relates to everything else you have touching the arrays.

rushan

Thanks for the replies. I'm working on getting our products registered with support. In the meantime I guess I'll read through all the documentation for the different versions.

Public