ONTAP Discussions

Upgrade to 7.3.1P3 - CPU Improvement

BrendonHiggins

This graph is from Operations Manager of a FAS3070 which is under constant heavy load.  The change is from when we installed DoT 7.3.1P3 on the 2nd May.  The load is still the same...

3_Months_CPU.JPG

Can anyone do better?

Bren

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tyeoman_swinton

Yep, this version of OnTap did indeed give great performance improvements on our FAS3140.  We had to regress for a short while to an early version due to 10GbE firmware issues, the performance reduction was considerable!

Definately worth upgrading!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

peluso

Wow! This is a huge improvement.  Thanks for sharing with the community!  I wonder if anyone else has a similar experience?

thanks again Brendon - awesome job!

Terri

Thanks so much!
Terri Peluso
Senior Community Program Manager

sojdehei

Hi Bren

IHAC that is planning on upgrading from 7.3.Px to 7.3.1P3 to be able to take advantage of OSSV data compression.  So, did you have data compression turned on?  what level did you set it to ("low" "medium" "high")?  Thank you for your post!

- Mitchell

BrendonHiggins

We are not using OSSV yet but will be looking into it as we have 70+

machines backed up this way.

pascalduk

Very impressive. Which version of ontap where you using before?

BrendonHiggins

NetApp Release 7.2.4P8

pascalduk

Was hoping you were on 7.2 before, because I have some FAS6080's on 7.2 that could potentially get a performance boost.

So the gain is from more cpu domains and more efficiently use of the available cpu cores in the new ontap version?

BrendonHiggins

Yes and the box has a high snapmirror / snapvault load. I believe

NetApp have also rewritten much of this code and it is more efficient

now.

lasswellt

from what i understand the big improvement was the ability to use the multi-cores better and going to 64-bit code.

amiller_1

Fantastic....makes me feel even better about 7.3.1.1 (or 7.3.2 -- i.e. hopefully GD).

tyeoman_swinton

Yep, this version of OnTap did indeed give great performance improvements on our FAS3140.  We had to regress for a short while to an early version due to 10GbE firmware issues, the performance reduction was considerable!

Definately worth upgrading!

BrendonHiggins

A couple of people have asked about the performance over time.  Yes we are still happy....

jeffshelly

Upgraded our R200 on September 2nd from 7.2.4 to 7.3.1.1

Very pleased with the results

Public