Subscribe

Usable Space FAS 2552 C-mode

Hi,

we have newly install NetApp FAS-2552 2 node cluster with 12 Disk 1.2TB HDD, OS Ontap 9.1 C-mode, what is a best practice to get maximum space.

currently assgin 6 disk each node, per node i get 2.56TB usable space, how can i get meximum space

need help

Re: Usable Space FAS 2552 C-mode

FAS2552 with 12 X 1.2 TB Disk.. using ADP to maximize the disk space.

you can space them two different way.

I just run this using netapp-sysnergy and here is the screenshot of the reports.

FAS2552 with 12 X 1.2TB HDD

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 9.41.09 AM.png

Option : 1

While you create 1 Root aggr and 1 Data aggr on Each node. (to maximize the CPU Usage)

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 9.41.25 AM.png

As you can see the above configuration give you exactly the same amount of space on each node.. but it lost 2 parity disk and 1 spare on each node.. So total you lost 6 disk worth of space. (which is almost half of what you have, and may not be ideal for your case)

Option : 2

Create root aggr for both node.. 

But use the renamining disks to create one large aggr on one of the node. (7.69TB total usable space)

Advantages :-

Aggr is larger.

Disadvantages:-

You are not using most part of the CPU resources on node-2

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 9.42.38 AM.png

If you don't need all the CPU resources the 2nd node can provide, you may choose the Option-2

I know few of customers choose this option after considering their Storage Resources usage.

hope this help

thanks,

Robin.

Hello Robin,

Thanks for reply,

how to create one big aggregate, 6-6 disk distributed each not, I did not get option to create one aggregate.

Regards

Rakesh Bhuvad

You might have to use vol-move or remove the data from one of the aggr.. (eg:- node2-aggr)
offline and delete the aggr, that will bring all those 6 data disk on that node as spare disks.

Then you can re-assign those disk to other node.. before you add them to the aggr.. 
make sure you verify/modify the raid-group.

As long as you have enough room in node1-aggr to move the data from node2-aggr, you can do this process non-disruptively.

Robin.