ONTAP Discussions

VM restore from SnapVault secondary using OnCommand 5.0

ravindhar

Team,

Quick question about VM restore from SnapVault seconday using OnCommand 5.0 and host package 1.1.

• When you start the snapvault restore of a VM, does it to do an incremental NDMP copy at the back end on the storage controller looking at the snapshot blocks ONLY for that VM and then comparing that with the secondary and sending only the changed blocks for that VM with in the snapshots.
  • I believe when we do the snapvault snap restore from the secondary for a qtree it does an incremental NDMP copy at the backend.
  • Another question is when we do a snap restore of a volume on the storage controller the snapshots taken after the restore date gets deleted from the snaplist. what happens when we do the restore of a VM from OnCommand to a specific date, will it behave the same way the snapshot gets deleted by wafl after the restore. Here'e were the confusion is because I am restoring just one VM not the entire datastore in other words volume/qtree. I would presume it should not get deleted correct me if I am wrong guys:)
  • Has anyone tested the above scenario.

Thanks for your help and any feedback will be really appreciated.

Ravi

6 REPLIES 6

kjag

Hi,

What is the datastore type you are using?

-KJag

ravindhar

NFS.

Best regards,

Ravindhar

Please ignore any typos as been sent from iPhone.

kjag

Hi,

For Restore from Remote Backup's it does the below.

1. Create a clone the Backup volume using the snapshot.(which you would like to restore)

2. Map the clone as a datastore

3. Copy the VM files from the datastore.

4. Delete the datastore(Temporarily created) and the clone.

It will not perform Incremental restore.

-kjag

ravindhar

Hi kjag,

Thanks for the reply, I will be running the test today and would like to see what the results are. Once completed I will post the results.

Best regards,

Ravindhar

Please ignore any typos as been sent from iPhone.

REGIS_GARRUCHET

Hi,

will it behave similarly with VMFS datastores ?

Thanks

Regis

kjag

It creates lun clones and remaining are same.

-KJag

Public