ONTAP Discussions

Various questions around SM-MOSS

jbaptiste

Hi all, My customer has some questions regarding SM-MOSS 2.0.1

1. Agent Monitor:  Which account is required Local System ou SRV_SMMOSS ? Which right for this account ?
  2. Device Manager: If we add a Physical Device, do we duplicate the backup ? What is the expected behavior ?
  3. Account Manager: Do we need to define a service account ?
  4. Backup BuilderWe plan to create 2 Backup Plans:-          one for the entire farm ( once a day)-          the other one for the Content DBs ( every 3 hours) What’s our best practice ? What’s the recommended verification strategy ? Some items like WSS_Help_Search, SharedServices1_Search_DB are not selectable, is it normal ?
  5. Restore Controller: When we select “All Plans” , the timeline browser don’t present all the available Time Points. Do you already seen this behavior ?
  6. Does it exist some case where the GUID of the site is modified after a restoration? In others words, do  we need to resync the ContentDB after a restoration ?
  7. When I make a backup with SM-MOSS, the status of the farm backup is “completed” but into the log I see this message concerning the snapshot taken for the lun storing the Index “Error: Unable to create a Snapshot copy. Please check the application event log for more details.
  8. Do we recommend to take manual snapshot for some LUNs like lun storing the Media Data ?

Thanks for your help. Regards,

JB

2 REPLIES 2

masahiro

Hi JB

I'd like to comment some your questions.

>1. Agent Monitor:  Which account is required Local System ou SRV_SMMOSS ? Which right for this account ?

It depends on the customer's MOSS environment. If the one is an “all in one” configuration with the SharePoint front-end Web

and the SQL Server installed on the same server. IAG describes it is not the recommended option.

Usually the AD user who is a moss farm administrator and also SQL-Server database operator permissions.

>2. Device Manager: If we add a Physical Device, do we duplicate the backup ? What is the expected behavior ?

It's recommended to use a LUN. If you add a valid path on the LUN with snapmirror enabled, it automatically replicates using snapmirror.

>3.Account Manager: Do we need to define a service account ?

By default, admin user is created automatically, but this user has full access rights, so the customer probably want to use this account.

So you had better ask the customer to create a service account.

>4. Backup BuilderWe plan to create 2 Backup Plans:-          one for the entire farm ( once a day)-          the other one for the Content DBs ( every 3 hours) What’s our best practice ? What’s the recommended verification strategy ? Some items like WSS_Help_Search, SharedServices1_Search_DB are not selectable, is it normal ?

I don't know the best practice actually,  but you can't set 2 plan with components covered by another plan. I believe one components can

be covered by 1 plan.

Yes you can't select a WSS_Help_Search or SharedServices1_Search_DB each. MOSS uses the search db and index files to serve a search

function together. These must have a consistency and it's not supported to backup each.

>5.Restore Controller: When we select “All Plans” , the timeline browser don’t present all the available Time Points. Do you already seen this behavior ?

Actually I don't have seen. How about Time Window? Did you change more previus from date?

>6.Does it exist some case where the GUID of the site is modified after a restoration? In others words, do  we need to resync the ContentDB after a restoration ?

Probably it doesn't related with the GUID, after restore a site, object ID used in the url like for the link for list permission. To restore the

content db is ok, but another site collections and sites are also restored.

>7.When I make a backup with SM-MOSS, the status of the farm backup is “completed” but into the log I see this message concerning the snapshot taken for the lun storing the Index “Error: Unable to create a Snapshot copy. Please check the application event log for more details.

Did you migrate index files' path to LUN or set the index file path to LUN?

You can migrate using smmossindextool.exe to NetApp LUN.

>8.Do we recommend to take manual snapshot for some LUNs like lun storing the Media Data

If you take manual snapshot bu hand, you must stop moss services when backup. How about using snapmirror or snapvault?

regards,

masahiro uchida

PSE

jbaptiste

Thanks.

Public