ONTAP Discussions

Volume Autodelete Query

ORRCAPITA

Hello,

my current configuration is as such

filer 1 -> snapvault

filer 2 > snapmirror

protection manager manages the snapvault relationship but the snapmirror relationship is manual

my policy for the snapvault has retention set so that it keeps hourly's for a day, daily's for a week, weekly's for several months etc.. usual story

problem I am having is that filer 2 only ever has 4 snaphots

I contacted NetApp support and I was basically told to turn off autodelete. Well I dont want to turn off autodelete, I want to configure it properly

I had a look at the settings of the snapvault destination volume

snapshot autodelete settings for backup_operating_systems_2:

state                           : on

commitment                      : try

trigger                         : snap_reserve

target_free_space               : 5%

delete_order                    : oldest_first

defer_delete                    : none

prefix                          : (not specified)

destroy_list                    : none

what gets my attention here is that the trigger is set to "snap_reserve"

now my snap reserve is set to 0

surely this should be set to "volume" as being set to "snap_reserve" this would just cause an infinate autodelete because snap reserve is "0"?

3 REPLIES 3

adaikkap

This is what Provisioning Manager does.

fas-sim-1*> snap autodelete  sv_vol

snapshot autodelete settings for sv_vol:

state                           : on

commitment                      : disrupt

trigger                         : volume

target_free_space               : 5%

delete_order                    : oldest_first

defer_delete                    : prefix

prefix                          : dfpm

destroy_list                    : lun_clone,vol_clone,cifs_share

But note, the prefix of dfpm is to safe guard the snapvault base snapshot, as its not locked( but only during active transfer) so there is still risk of losing your sv base snapshot.

There is no problem with the snapmirror base snapshot as its always locked.

Regards

adai

ORRCAPITA

so I should change the trigger to volume then?

how can I ensure that my base snapshot is intact and my data will be there in the case of a dissaster?

mike_burris

Here's the man page documentation for the trigger option:

=======================================

This option determines the condition which starts the automatic deletion of snapshots. Setting the option to volume triggers snapshot delete when the volume reaches "threshold" capacity and the volume's snap reserve has been exceeded. Setting the option to snap_reserve triggers snapshot delete when the snap reserve of the volume reaches "threshold" capacity. Setting the option to space_reserve triggers snapshot delete when the space reserved in the volume reaches "threshold" capacity and the volume's snap reserve has been exceeded. "Threshold" capacity is determined by the size of the volume as given below:

If the volume size is less than 20 GB, the autodelete threshold is 85%.

If the volume size is equal to or greater than 20 GB and less than 100 GB, the autodelete threshold is 90%.

If the volume size is equal to or greater than 100 GB and less than 500 GB, the autodelete threshold is 92%.

If the volume size is equal to or greater than 500 GB and less than 1 TB, the autodelete threshold is 95%.

If the volume size is equal to or greater than 1 TB, the autodelete threshold is 98%

=======================================

So if *I* am interpreting that correctly, you have to meet 2 conditions (vol full threshold and snap reserve being exceeded) when the trigger is set to "volume" whereas it reads to me like you'll always be hitting the threshold with "snap_reserve" - depending on the size of your volume and how full it is obviously.

Public