Subscribe
Accepted Solution

Volume is full and LUN cannot be accessed

Dear all

We are facing a serious problem with our Netapp filer FAS2050 with version 7.3.2. A volume is hsown as being full and the size of the volume is 2 TB. The volume contains a LUN that it is 1.5 TB bif but when we run df -h on the filer it shows the volume to be absoletely full with no space left at all. There are no snapshots on the volume to delete.

Since the volume has A-SIS on it can not grow beyond 2 TB. When we bring the LUN online the vmware hosts with ESX 4.0 which access the LUN seem to hung and the only way to remedy this is to offline the volume. So despite that the data is there we do not have any way to get the data out of the lun. Any ides?  We have tries to perform an ndmpcopy to another volume on the ha pair filer but it fails with No spece left on device message. Also we have tried the commnad sis undo volume name but we get an error : Volume is in transition state.

Please help!!!!

Re: Volume is full and LUN cannot be accessed

Hi,

Although you have no snapshots, with dedupe being enabled fractional reserve may have kicked in.

Do you know to what value the FR is set at the moment? (if not, vol status -v will show this)

Regards,

Radek

Dear Radek

Thanks for your response the fractional reserve is set to 100.

You might just want to turn off Lun guarantee if the only Lun in the volume. Lun is smaller than the volume and no snaps

Then change it to 0 & see what happens:

vol options volname fractional_reserve 0

Lun guarante was always off. I really do not understand where the 500 GB has gone since the lun is only 1,5 TB and the volume 2 TB.

df -r output?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

volume guarantee is set to none so fractional reserver canno be changed

Try changing FR - I have a strange feeling that might be the answer.

OK, fair enough - it used to be the case with ONTAP versions prior to 7.3."something".

I always thought that although FR is fixed at 100%, it actually behaves like being set to 0% with volume guarantee being set to none.

*If* you have space in the aggregate, you may experiment, set volume guarantee to 'volume' & then set FR to 0%.