ONTAP Discussions

Volumes left behind after verification completes

BrendonHiggins

We have two MS Exchange 2003 clusters, V01 & V02. Each cluster has two nodes and runs Windows 2003. Ent. Ed, with SnapDrive 4.2.1 and SME 3.2. Looking to upgrade soon but not this week...

We use a 2nd server to verify the backups as the server load is high on the Exchange boxes.

The problem is once the verification has finished the flexclone volumes are sometimes left behind. It is normally just the transaction log volume or the database volume. The problem tends to happen on V01 more frequently and we have completed a bare metal re-install of the cluster nodes to try and resolve the issue. – No success.

There are no events on the Filer logs (FAS3070 cluster) and I have not been able to work out a pattern as to when it happens. The work around is to check the filer each morning for the flexclone volumes and offline / delete them.

Does anyone have any ideas to a possible solution. I have heard ESEUTIL throttling can cause this issue but testing has show the problem happens regardless.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and think about the issue. Any help / ideas welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stuartwatkins

Anti virus? Do you have anti virus that is chewing on this and causing any problems? I have heard of this before

Worth a shot, remove any AV see if it makes a difference?

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

BrendonHiggins

I have read that OnTap does not like capital letters in the initator group, could this be your problem?

Before the AV problem we had this in our SME logs, which was solved by patching.

[20:24:35.175] Dismounting LUN C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for Exchange\SnapMgrMountPoint\MPDisk001 of Snapshot [exchsnap__snap_01-06-2009_19.00.00__daily]...
[20:25:10.347] The virtual disk may not be connected, because its mount point cannot be found.
(SnapDrive Error Code: 0xc0040221)
[20:25:10.347] Re-trying to force dismounting LUN...
[20:25:10.472] SnapManager will pause 70 seconds after force dismount, please wait...
[20:26:20.457] SnapDrive failed to dismount the snapshot.

[20:26:20.457] Error Code: 0xc0040221
The virtual disk may not be connected, because its mount point cannot be found.

This was fixed by patching the HP SATA driver {cp009645.exe} to the latest version and MS patch KB931300.

Hope this helps

Bren

cdlovejoy

Thanks for the quick post. Our drivers are completely up to date and KB931300 is installed. I'm not sure you can install the new version of SD wihtout KB931300. I think it flags and cancels the install. The intiator groups are lowercase but that was one I hadn't heard of so I quickly checked. Netapp is currently chewing on our log files from yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back. As soon as I know anything, I'll post.

Thanks,

Carl.

BrendonHiggins

A 2nd think that is always worth checking is the SnapDrive / Disk Propertise / Preferred Filer IP Address has been configured on the host.

Always seams to be a good first place to start with 'strange' issues.

Bren

cdlovejoy

Aye, we did not have the prefered storage set but we do now. That did not fix the issue. Good catch, however...

Thanks,

Carl.

Public