ONTAP Discussions

Western Digital Hard Drives "not found"

pelesfire19

I have replaced some 500G drives with Western Digital 1TB drives. The firmware is up to date. Specs are as follows:

FAS2020

Ontap 7.3.3

sysconfig -v shows the following for the drives:

ID         Vendor        Model                             FW      Size

00.1     WDC         WD1002FAEX-00ZSS        1D05    847.5GB (Found in scan)

It found them in the scan, but I can't unfail them, I can't do anything to them. Is there something simple I'm missing? It says the firmware is up to date on the drives. It also gives me an Error 19, the disk is not ready. Are Western Digital drives not compatible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pascalduk

These are not disks from NetApp and therefore not recognized by Ontap as valid disks.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

pascalduk

These are not disks from NetApp and therefore not recognized by Ontap as valid disks.

pelesfire19

The Seagate's I used work just fine. It's just the Western Digital. You don't have to have disks from NetApp for it to work. I have replaced two FAS2020's with seagate disks.

Darkstar

the Seagate disks happen to work because NetApp also sells them, and so they are recognized. WD disks on the other hand have never been used (AFAIK) in filers and thus there's no config information for them in Data ONTAP.

Needless to say that you're running without any support if you do what you're doing there but I think you know that already 😉

-Michael

peter_lehmann

from NOW:

If the disk or shelf was NOT provided by NetApp or an authorized distributor, then:

1. Installing or attaching an unsupported/unqualified disk or shelf can cause the NetApp appliance to halt abruptly.
  2. The disk or shelf must be removed before the filer will operate.

Good luck!

Peter

Darkstar

You could try putting your WD disk into /etc/qual_devices to see if it works.

D  WDC      WD1002FAEX-00ZSS 1D05 512

Let me know if that helps

-Michael

pelesfire19

So I tried your answer Michael, and that did not work. I think it's as simple as the firmware. The Filer thinks the FW is up to date, but like you said earlier since NetApp does not use WD's, they don't have the firmware for them. I looked in the etc$/disk_fw folder and there is a .LOD and a .LOD.FVF for every type of firmware listed in the qual_devices except for the 1D05 that the WD's are using. So that's probably what it is. There isn't any firmware released to allow WD's to "talk" to the filer. I'm just going to purchase more Seagates. And I realize this is unsupported, but it's a matter of pricing. I don't believe in paying $17,000 for 12 1TB drives when I can get them for $1000. And their support pricing is outrageous. Please don't hold it against me, I was hired after the decision to use NetApp

Darkstar

Well, every enterprise storage vendor sells their disks at seemingly expensive prices, NetApp is no exception there. You get what you pay for.

However I don't think that the firmware is to blame, because the newer SATA disks also use the "stock" firmware and no special NetApp firmware anymore. You could also try editing the qual_devices_v3 file (however they are checksummed so it's probably not as easy) because there you can define "disk aliases" etc.

I'd strongly suggest NOT doing these kinds of experiments on a production system because you risk losing your data on unsupported disks (and NetApp certainly won't accept any liability if you do)

-Michael

peter_lehmann

I'd strongly suggest NOT doing these kinds of experiments on a production system because you risk losing your data on unsupported disks (and NetApp certainly won't accept any liability if you do).

copy that!

Peter

herbert_feutl

Hi,

only for the sake of interest did you manage to get another (non Netapp drive) to be recognized as qualified by changing qual_devices ?!

if yes, could you give me some more details.

thanks

ABOUTNETAPP_RU

And I realize this is unsupported, but it's a matter of pricing. I don't believe in paying $17,000 for 12 1TB drives when I can get them for $1000. And their support pricing is outrageous. Please don't hold it against me, I was hired after the decision to use NetApp

Is the budget savings is your responsibility? Are you shareholder or investor of this company? Did you was hired for spending optimisation?

Why you thinking about it? Let special people do their duty, and you may just make your own job well.

Installing an usupported disks to production storage IS NOT a well done job for IT-manager.

Public