ONTAP Discussions

What NetApp product suite for backup report?

PINYOUUDK

Hello,

I'm sorry If the question not right for section.

My customer has so many NetApp boxes, they have many backup policy and various method like local snapshot, snapvault, snapmirror, snapmanager for XX etc.. Today question i got from them is how they know all of backup job that perform by snapshot, snapvault, mirror and all were completed according to backup policy. I think they are imaging like Enterprise backup manager software such as Netbackup, Networker .. that can report per day, week, monthly about backup job. But this case is all about NetApp snapshot technology, so can someone tell me about the idea or if NetApp already have product that suit for backup report?

Pinyo U.

5 REPLIES 5

paulstringfellow

The OnCommand tool set is probably the best out of the box solution NetApp have, you can get all of those relationships reported to OnCommand and be alerted etc on status of jobs.

Applying protection policies to relationships as well will also provide a good dashboard view so the user can see if all of his policies are been met…

Look up oncommand on the NetApp site… should help…

mh_sh_team

Protection Manager which is a part of oncommand core package (aka dfm) is a possible solution but not a perfect one as it's limited in showing you the snapmanager status (it only shows replication status if exists, not local snapshots taken on the server). Therefore I think that the SnapProtect product should be more suitable as it is aware of the snapmanagers (this is from my understanding and reading, never tried it).

radek_kubka

According to my best knowledge SnapProtect cannot report on SnapManagers actions - the former is a rebadged CommVault Simpana product, which is meant as an alternative to SnapManager products.

Regards,

Radek

paulstringfellow

Yes you’re right the Snapprotect suite is not the answer from my experience, that’s not really what is designed for.

In terms of OnCommand that would allow for an overall view of it meeting the protection status of the backups, so that the backup has run and replicated where required, so although not purpose, is maybe the nearest tool that NetApp have.

PINYOUUDK

Thanks for idea, actually i don't have experience with Snapprotect and Yes i think Protection Manager not a perfectly solution yet but it's best tool that NetApp have for this purpose. How about OnCommand Report? may it customize to create graph report? backup report?

Pinyo U.

Public