ONTAP Discussions

What process is running making filer spike to high CPU

txskibum2000

I noticed this morning, between 4:00am-4:30am, one of my controllers spiked to 100% CPU Utilization.  Screenshot attached.

I drilled down to each volume to see if any of them where running high IOPs during the same time, and didnt find anything unusual.  Most of my snapshots and snapmirror happens between 8:00pm-midnight.  Nothing else I can think of runs between 4:00am-4:30am.  What else can I look at to determine why this controller hit 100%???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

often we see one cpu pegged but other cpus are free for wafl_exempt processes for user access... if you run "sysstat -M 1" in advanced/diag mode you can see all cpus and cpu domains... I think asis runs in kahuna (please correct me someone in engineering if not) which will use one cpu.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rwelshman

Are you running SIS on any of your volumes?

Does this happen every day?

txskibum2000

Yes. I do have deduplication scheduled on about 7 NFS volumes. I did notice a couple of them run longer than others, for some reason. Is Dedup (sis) actually that CPU intensive? Thanks for your response.

Dale

scottgelb

often we see one cpu pegged but other cpus are free for wafl_exempt processes for user access... if you run "sysstat -M 1" in advanced/diag mode you can see all cpus and cpu domains... I think asis runs in kahuna (please correct me someone in engineering if not) which will use one cpu.

txskibum2000

Thank you Scott for reminding me about the sysstat –M command. Next time I have a spike, I will look into it.

I have also reorganized my deduplication schedule. I increased the number of days (3 time a week, instead of 2) and spread them out a bit.

Dale

scottgelb

Getting a perfstat during the spike will help find the bottleneck too, but sounds like you are managing it by changing asis schedules.

Typos Sent on Blackberry Wireless

Public