ONTAP Discussions

What would be the cause of a single disk failure in the backed EMC clariion which is assigned to a netapp Vfiler to make the filer to failover.

ramakrishnan4

We had a netapp Vfiler to get failover to the other node, due to the single disk failure in the backend EMC clariion.  I am trying find the cause? Can anybody help me, since I dont understand that how failover can occur when there is only one disk failure in the backend.

EMC raid groups are configured in Raid level 5. We have enough hotspare to support.

4 REPLIES 4

dan_keating

It looks like you're going to have to check your logs across the vSeries and the the EMC array although if the vSeries has lost sight of its root volume then you're probably not going to have much to look at from the Netapp side. The partner logs may hold some relevant data though.

ramakrishnan4

Thanks dan, But I could get some details like Passtimetolive was exceeded and the client lost the access. I am also checking the EMC for any logs related to this. what will be maximum time the request can withstand and the maximum tries that is possible. I could see after 4 tries the system lost its connectivity. 

aborzenkov

It is not possible to answer without detail logs from CLARiiON and NetApp, so you should really open support case, probably both for NetApp and CLARiiON. But it is quite possible that failed disk blocked backend bus on one side of CLARiiON that made accessing this RG impossible and required failover to another SP.

ramakrishnan4

Yes, absolutely I have raised the case. and to be more clear it is not the luns which has tresspassed to the luns in EMC. It is the cluster failover of the Netapp V filer. 

Public