Subscribe
Accepted Solution

Which NIC should I use for SnapMirror?

I'm currently setting up a SnapMirror relationship and I noticed that my transfer was going extremely slow.  Turns out the e0M interface is only 100mb.

My setup:

I have a FAS2240-4 with two controllers running 8.1.4P1 7-Mode

Both controllers use this setup:

e0a and e0c are used for my iSCSI VIF

e0b and e0d are used for my NFS VIF

Both VIFs are configured to use lacp

e0m is my management nic

Right now, DNS points to the management IP for each server.

I also have Exchange data stored on this filer and SnapDrive on my Exchange servers configured to point to the management interface.  I'm working with support to figure out why SME won't interface with SnapMirror but that's outside the scope of this discussion.

What are my options for getting my SnapMirror on a gigabit interface?  Is it a good idea to piggyback on one of my VIFs.

Re: Which NIC should I use for SnapMirror?

Im not a fan of e0m, and never was... It changes on the 8000 series, but i've been in shops with 200+ filers and we never used e0m..

We usually send snapmirror traffic over 10g vif as well.. e0m is useless :-)

How do you manage your filer without using the management interface?

My nfs and my iscsi vifs are both vlanned so the traffic for each is isolated from the rest of the network.

Is my only option to use one of the nfs and iscsi vifs and vlan for my snapmirror traffic?

Can I add another ethernet nic to the controllers and use a port off of it?

I have that e0M interfaced disabled.

then  group e1a and e1b using ifgrp (could be e0a and e0b up to you) 

created vifs and tag them for management traffic iscsi, nfs and so on.

Do not be confused. You do not need to use e0M - any interface can be used to manage filer.

You can add mezzanine card with 2 x 10G. You can't add more 1GbE to 2240.

Exactly

e0m confuses people... In my opinion, at 100mbit, it's useless.. and in both the environments where i've been (large) we never uses it..

The only reason to use e0M is when you absolutely need separate physical management network and do not want to waste 1GbE (or 10G) for it.

You should be able to get  a riser card in that box and use it for your transfers.

This is where the documentation doesn't transfer to the real world.

Here's a little more information on my setup.  Perhaps you guys can tell me how you would configure it so I'm getting the most out of these systems.

e0a and e0c connected to switch1 (2960-S).  lacp is enabled and the port groups are configured for my iscsi vlan (exchange and file servers)

e0b and e0d connected to switch2 (2960-S).  lacp is enabled and the port groups are configured for my nfs vlan (vmware)

e0m on both controllers are either connected to switch3 or switch4

switch1 and switch2 are disparate and do not have any connectivity to the public network aside from one management port.

switch3 and switch4 are my internal facing switches for my vm traffic, management, etc.

My second filer, my snapmirror destination filer, is configured the same way.

Should I talk to my network team about stacking switches 1 and 2?  I could then use a 4-port lacp for e0a-e0d and use vlan tagging in my rc file.  It wouldn't take much to add my management vlan to that switch.

Then configure the hosts file on each controller to point to either the nfs or the iscsi vif on my second filer?

Or would it be the same to just leave it as it is, and configure the hosts file for each filer to use the nfs or iscsi for all communication, including snapmirror transfers, leaving e0m for management.  That would be the easiest and least disruptive.

Documentation vs real-world... yeah.. that's always a treat.

I see no issue with vlan tagging and lacp.. But it's up to you.. I fyou want to keep it all segrated, get a riser card