ONTAP Discussions

Why is the ups command deprecated in Data ONTAP 8.1

biescas

Hi

One of my partner is aksing me why the ups command is deprecated in Data ONTAP 8.1 and NetApp monitoring support to UPS is limited.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=3013521&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1337094531669

Is UPS support ever going to come back for ONTAP ?

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

paulhar

We currently have no plans to re-introduce native UPS shutdown monitoring into ONTAP. One workaround would be to have a host that is attached to the UPS issue the halt command once all other hosts have powered themselves off, but regardless even without UPS monitoring the controller will maintain a storage consistent state with data either being on disk or in NVRAM in the event of complete power loss.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

scottgelb

I saw in the 8.1.1 release notes that ups management was removed.

WillFulmer

Any more information on this issue, NetApp?

paulhar

We currently have no plans to re-introduce native UPS shutdown monitoring into ONTAP. One workaround would be to have a host that is attached to the UPS issue the halt command once all other hosts have powered themselves off, but regardless even without UPS monitoring the controller will maintain a storage consistent state with data either being on disk or in NVRAM in the event of complete power loss.

Public