ONTAP Discussions

aggregate snapshot reserve full

msandona

Our filer is warning "aggregate snapshot reserve full".  What's the best way to resolve this?

thank you.

13 REPLIES 13

adamfox

That depends on whether you believe you need aggregate snapshots or not.  Most customers don't, IMHO unless they are using syncmirror in which case it's required.

If you don't need them, then just set the aggregate reserve space to 0.  That will delete all of the aggregate snapshots and prevent new ones from being created (plus you'll get that space back).

If you do need them you will either need to increase the space, change the snapshot schedule so you aren't holding as much data, or do nothing and it will basically resolve itself by deleting old snapshots.

Your choice.

lovik_netapp

Adam,

If I am not wrong you need aggregate snapshots if you want to recover an accidentally deleted volumes and using wafl set of commands on inconsistent aggregates.

adamfox

On recovering a volume...kinda sorta.  Yes you could recover an accidentally deleted volume (although that would be very rare),  But you'd have to snaprestore the entire aggregate which means you'd have to revert ALL volumes in that aggregate to a point before the volume was lost.  I don't know many folks can do that.

I haven't heard of needing it to run wafl_check.

lovik_netapp

Yes, it's very rare to recover an accidentally deleted volume but yes, when you have to recover it then you know appreciate that extra 5% space, though I use just 2% for reserve in my environment, another important thing that you don't have to revert the whole aggregate you can also use 'aggr copy start -S' to make a copy of aggregate and then restore the volume from there.

for wafl_check you can go to this link https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb20575

msandona

What's the best way to increase the aggregate snapshot reserve?

Thanks for all the help.

lovik_netapp

use 'snap reserve -A

lovik_netapp,

>

A new message was posted in the thread "aggregate snapshot reserve full":

>

http://communities.netapp.com/message/21797#21797

>

Author : msandona@cchcs

Profile : http://communities.netapp.com/people/msandona@cchcs

>

Most Recent Post:

adamfox

I'm an admitted CLI bigot so I'd so it like this:

netapp> snap reserve -A <aggr_name> X

Where X is the new % (default is 5).

Keep in mind you can also change the snapshot schedule and keep fewer of them or for a shorter time and you won't have to give up the space.

That is done with the snap command, just add the -A option (for aggregate vs volume).

But like I said, on 99% of the systems I've implemented I don't use them and they run just fine.

anthonyfeigl

You may want to check out this article.

https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb15822

I know that the reference in NetApp docs on Aggr Snapshot always mentions WAFL operations?!?!, which can mean any number of things.

In certain instances you will do the operations in Maint mode and that will not require the Aggr Snapshot, but I would hesitate to lower the Aggr Snapshot below 3% as this article states.

(especially if this is a production system)

I would also run this buy your NetApp System Engineer (pre sales guy) to see his take on it.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

adamfox

Well, since I'm a NetApp SE, I ran it by myself and we're in agreement.

You'd be amazed how often that doesn't happen.

danielpr

Does that mean 0% snap reserve becoming a normal practice? How does this compromise the volume delete ?. For me if I have done accidental volume delete then I will intend to alteast revert back to recent snapshots . If I don’t have mirror features I would be left only with Snapshots isn’t it. Wont the aggregate snaps reserve the only option for me ?

Does this sound once again Data ONTAP defaults are not the field normal practice in this case?

Thanks;

Daniel

BrendonHiggins

Hi

We have turned off aggregate snapshots and just create volume snapshots because it would be VERY unlikley for use snap restore on an aggregate, so the space if just wasted in our environment.

Hope this helps

Bren

basvanberkel

exactly....

snap reserve -A <aggr> 0
snap sched -A <aggr> 0

aggr options <aggr> nosnap on

I only use aggregate snapshots/reserve in Sync Mirror setups, as recommended.

mbotero

Thanks guys for your posts! I think I figured out what I will do, which is not use Aggregate Snapshots anymore. I will have to update my personal build steps since this is a default setting.

Public