ONTAP Discussions

cannot shrink disk in windows

TDUBB1234

I created a iscsi volume and mapped it to a windows 7 vm. then i used the software initiator to connect to hte volume and can see it, have a drive letter and can write to it.

then i extended the lun in netapp and then rescanned the disk in wondows and i was able to extend it.

but when i shrink it back down, i could not shrink it back in windows

gives this error

DiskPart has encountered an error: The service cannot be started, either because

it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

See the System Event Log for more information.

any idea?

4 REPLIES 4

peter_lehmann

If you use SnapDrive 6.3 to manage the disk, it should also work with shrinking it. At least on Win2K8 R2...

Peter

TDUBB1234

i was not able to resize in inside snapdrive. then i resized it on the netapp and then used snapdrive to reconnect. but got this error

TDUBB1234

ok i closed out of snapdrive and reopened. then i was able to see the drive but lost the drive letter. I assigned a drive letter but now aftter the resize, it lost all files and its asking for reformat

wcotton

The following kb article should be able to help you https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2013546 if not and you have a flexclone license you could flexclone the snapshot prior to the resize to recover from this...

Thanks

Will

Public