ONTAP Discussions

changing the filer IP address & moving the filer.

netappnasadmin

Hello folks,

My scenario: we have a FAS3050 is in cluster i need to change the IP address of the filer and ship it to Europe.

can any one please the best way to change the IP address of the filer & What is  the best way to uncable the filer and install the same filer in other location..with same disk shelfs...?(every thing should be same except ip address)

waiting for your valuable suggestions..?

Thanks in Advance

Naveen..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dchilton

When you first power up the filer, it will be sitting at a LOADER prompt.  The only way to boot it up will be to conect a console connection to each filer.  Then enter bye.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

dchilton

Updating the IP address:

The main files to update will be the /etc/rc file and the /etc/hosts file.  This should be done from a console prompt before you power down the filer to move it.  Rheck out these 2 KBs and they should help you with the ip address portion.

https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=ntapcs15228

https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb3726

Moving the system.

In terms of the move,  You will want to be very careful in powering things down and shipping them properly wrapped to the new location.

Simple steps to power down the filer, once you have taken care of all of the Client side requirements.

1.  cf disable to disable clustering.

2.  From a console prompt, halt the filer.

3.  Power down the filer.

4.  Power down the shelves.

Things attaching labels onto the cables would be good.

Here is a link to the installation guide for the FAS3XXX series.

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/hardware/filer/210-00640+H0.pdf

When powering up the filer, connect a console to the filer.

1.  Power on shelves

2.  Power on filer.

3.  From console, boot filer, by entering "bye"

Finally, if this is all too much work, you can hire NetApp Professional services to take care of this for you.

netappnasadmin

Hello ,

Before powering up the filer at different location do you want me to use the console port and connect and enter bye.

or by entering the ip address in putty and we can use filer as normal. can you please correct me if i am wrong on this.

Thanks

Naveen.

dchilton

When you first power up the filer, it will be sitting at a LOADER prompt.  The only way to boot it up will be to conect a console connection to each filer.  Then enter bye.

netappnasadmin

Thank you so much for your valuable answer.

Thanks

Naveen.

dchilton

You are welcome, have a great weekend.

netappnasadmin

you too my friend.

Thanks

naveen.

netappnasadmin

Hello dchilton,

I have one more quick question, what is the best process of labelling the shelf's & cables when i remove from the FAS3050c.

since it should be very easy to understand the person in europe and he can easly connect correct cables.

because from my place my data center is different place & i am in other state i will guiding in removing the cables from the filer.

can you please guide me the best solution for this.

Thanks in advance.

dchilton

Well I am sure people have different approaches.  Here is mine.

Borrow or purchase a label maker.

Label both ends of cables with component/port number for each end.

Example: Onboard port fibrechannel connection from filer controller head that is connected to shelf1. (head to shelf cable)

Make two labels that have 0a/shelf1-A port and attach to each end of cable.

Good Luck!

Dan

netappnasadmin

Hey Dan,

Thanks for replying me once again...

Thanks my friend.

ashraf_68

Hello Dan

sorry to fit myself in between....

can you please help me with this.. .

how can I check which NTP server filers are getting their time and date updated from?

Ash

adamfox

You can get that information by looking at the option timed.servers.

-- Adam Fox

ashraf_68

Thanks dude...

Public