ONTAP Discussions

console_login_mgr:warning]: too many bad logins on console

CJSCOLTRINITY

I am getting the the message

[filername console_login_mgr:warning]: too many bad logins on console

repeating loads of times in the syslog of one of my filers.

Any idea how I can get more information to try to track down what is causing it.

These messages are constantly appearing 24x7.

5 REPLIES 5

CJSCOLTRINITY

In the Audit log I am seeing the following messages:

console_login_mgr:debug]: y login:AUTH:error:Login failed for an unknown user from IP 0.0.0.0. reason "User does not exist"

console_login_mgr:debug]: ):AUTH:error:Login failed for an unknown user from IP 0.0.0.0. reason "User does not exist"

console_login_mgr:debug]: nternal:AUTH:error:Login failed for an unknown user from IP 0.0.0.0. reason "User does not exist"

console_login_mgr:debug]: nternal:AUTH:error:too many bad logins on console

ern
NetApp

My guess on what release this is (which matters even in this case) is that this is 7.3.x.

My wild guess is that given the IP address of 0.0.0.0 is that the console connection or the connection from the service processor to the console has line noise and is sending something and possibly a linefeed or return causing the "bad login".

The first thing I would do is disconnect the console serial line connection and see if the problem goes away. One could still have a bent pin or something causing line problems but that is of lower probability.

It could be something else and understanding what changes happened around the time of this message appearing can provide a clue as to the source.

CJSCOLTRINITY

Thanks for that Rudy.

I was also thinking that it could be something to do with the serial connection and ment to check if the serial cable was connected to this controller when I was onsite.  I will try to remember to check it tomorrow morning.

We are running Data ONTAP 8.0.2 7-Mode

ern
NetApp

You are quite welcome Calvin.

Given this is 8.0, I may have some additional information requests if the serial line solution doesn't work out. I hope it does.

CJSCOLTRINITY

The problem was that the ACP cabling was plugged in to the serial port and not the secure management port!

I guess WireGauge does not check the ACP configuration as it did not report that one of the controllers was not connected to the ACP network.

Public