Subscribe

deduplication changes with 7.3.1

have there been increases for the FAS3020c with release 7.3.1 ? or is the volume limitation still 1TB as it relates to deduplication ? I didn't see anything directly in the release notes for 7.3.1 or under the enhancements/changes section. Thanks in advance - Jeff

Re: deduplication changes with 7.3.1

From digging a bit internally, it should be 2TB in 7.3.1.

Thanks Adam, Do you have any documentation (or can you point me to some) that I can share with a customer that shows the increase ? The reason I ask is they've gottem conflicting answers so I'd really like to be sure before I get back to them. Thanks again. Smiley Wink

Haven't found any yet. Looks like the deployment guide needs updating.

The ONTAP 7.3.1 onlinebk guide has the new limits. Attached is the page that shows the new limits.

Your Awesome. Thanks Scott

Web link here....

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel731/html/ontap/onlinebk/protecting/reference/r_oc_prot_dedupe-considerations.html

Main items are higher dedup limits as well as can now shrink volume down to enable dedup.

Here is a single PPT slide with the the Volume Size Limits for Data ONTAP 7.3.0 and below &  7.3.1 per model/memory.

Dave

I'm guessing that column #2 is the maximum physical volsize and column #3 is the maximum logical volsize.

True?

Also, does anyone know how to collect actual measurement data on dedup effecct from a system on a per-FlexVol basis? I don't think DFM reports on this. I think Manage ONTAP SDK might provide info, the new DFM Server SDK might, but I've not been able to get confirmation.

tia

Sure...3 methods actually (although only 2 work right now ).

1. Command-line -- "df -s" or "df -sh" to show a list of FlexVols and space/percent saved....quite a nice quick summary.
  2. Operations Manager -- as of 3.8 it has good dedup reporting/graphs.
  3. System Manager -- it allows you to enable/disable/run dedup from a GUI and has some graphing around dedup savings (although those graphs aren't accurate for me at 2 different customer so far).