ONTAP Discussions

destroying and re-creating the only aggr on a filer

evilensky

Greetings,

Could someone point me to a guide on re-provisioning the initial aggregate?  We had brought up a system with 28 SATA disks evenly split between heads (11+2 w/ 1 spare per head).  We think we can recover a spare and get our RAID groups closer to 12+2 with a future expansion, and one way would be to consolidate all of our SATA on one head.  But since these are the only aggregates on the system, we wouldn't have a place to put vol0.

Is there a maintenance mode I should research for re-provisioning the only aggregate in a filer, or will I need to provide a new aggregate somewhere first in order to preserve vol0 somewhere?

We have no data on this cluster at this time; any reset to factory defaults would be just fine.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

adamfox

If you have no spares (or not at least 2 spares), you will need to wipe the system and start from scratch.  Boot to the maintaince menu and select #4a.

You will then need to re-run setup, re-install licenses, etc.

If you have at least 2 spares you can create a RAID-4 volume (or aggregate) and copy your root volume data over to it, reset the root volume, reboot the controller, the blow away the old aggregate.

Tech Support can help you with either of these procedues.

Hope this helps.

amiller_1

This post + replies cover the steps + ramifications fairly well I think.

http://communities.netapp.com/message/7997

Public