ONTAP Discussions

e0M and RLM

hultin

I have a question about the e0M port. I'm sure there have been questions like this, but I haven't been able to find a direct answer. I was wondering if the e0M port utilizes the same GW as the traffic ports, even though it shares the same port as the RLM/SP. If it doesn't, does it utilize the same GW as the RLM/SP? The reason I ask is, I am unsure exactly how the management traffic is routed off the system. I have seen the e0M port configred with a different subnet than both the RLM/SP and the data traffic. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

scottgelb

RLM/SP and e0M have different gateways.  The RLM/SP setup specified a gateway dedicated to the RLM/SP.  e0M shares the routing table with data interfaces (unless vFilers in non-default IPspaces) and this can be confusing...ONTAP will give alerts on the console/messages if e0M and data ports are on the same subnet.  You can view the routing for all e0M and data interfaces with "netstat -rn"

mdvillanueva

I am confuse too. What is the difference between the e0M and SP. when I run ifconfig I see the IP address of e0M but I don't see the IP of the SP. Although they are in the same subnet. When I login to the SP using naroot and run "sp status" I see the IP address of SP. I am unable to login to the IP address of e0M because it won't accept the naroot password.

I am so confuse, please enlighten me.

scottgelb

SP doesn’t show with ifconfig… “sp status” will show the SP network which is separate from ONTAP. SP logs in as “naroot” and e0M logs in as “root” or whatever user you use… the same one you use after SP when you “system console”. The naroot account is ONLY for the SP.

mdvillanueva

Thank you sir!

Public