ONTAP Discussions

/etc/messages message

eduard

Hi all, 

can you help me understand the messages below. what are they and why i got them in my storage system? 

[netapp:disk.ioMediumError:warning]: Medium error on disk 0a.01.2: op 0x28:6d8144c0:0240 sector 1837188522 SCSI:medium error - Unrecovered read error - If the disk is in a RAID group, the subsystem will attempt to reconstruct unreadable data (3 11 0 1) (3009) [NETAPP X302_HJUPI01TSSA NA02] S/N [N039TVUL]
[netapp:disk.ioFailed:error]: I/O operation failed despite several retries.
[netapp:raid.rg.scrub.media.err:debug]: Read error on Disk /aggrA02/plex0/rg0/0a.01.2 Shelf 1 Bay 2 [NETAPP X302_HJUPI01TSSA NA02] S/N [N039TVUL], block #204132058, during scrub.
[netapp:raid.rg.readerr.repair.data:debug]: Fixing bad data on Disk /aggrA02/plex0/rg0/0a.01.2 Shelf 1 Bay 2 [NETAPP X302_HJUPI01TSSA NA02] S/N [N039TVUL], block #204132058
[netapp:disk.ioReassignSuccess:notice]: disk 0a.01.2: sector 1837188522 was reassigned (2). [NETAPP X302_HJUPI01TSSA NA02] S/N [N039TVUL]

thank you

regards, 

eduard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rwelshman

It is possible it will fail. But disks do have areas set aside to replace failed blocks and until that section is mostly used, the disk will still function. If the disk does fail, you will get an autosupport and relevant messages. As long as you have a spare disk available, the failure will be handled by the NetApp without issue.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JGPSHNTAP

What version of ontap?

The issue is the disk is bad so it's trying to self heal

ekashpureff

Eduard -

This event is emitted when we detect a medium error on a disk.

See the 'Syslog Analyzer' tool on mysupport.netapp.com.

(Under 'Tools'.)

http://mysupport.netapp.com/eservice/ems

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff, Sr.
Independent NetApp Consultant http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff
Senior NetApp Instructor, IT Learning Solutions http://sg.itls.asia/netapp
(P.S. I appreciate 'kudos' on any helpful posts.)

eduard

Hi @ekashpureff and @JGPSHNTAP,

sorry it take me awhile to reply and thank you very much for answering my query. 

@JGPSHNTAP the ontap version of our filer is 8.1.4p9 recently upgraded from 8.0.2p4. you said that the disk is bad and trying to heal its self. does it also means that i will expect it will fail soon? 

@ekashpureff i follow your advise and I got this "This event is emitted when we detect a medium error on a disk.". syslog translator didn't gave me any other details. upon checking my controller i didn't see the error again so I guess it reconstructed itself successfully. I will ask same question, am i expecting a failed disk soon? 

thank you,

Eduard. 

rwelshman

It is possible it will fail. But disks do have areas set aside to replace failed blocks and until that section is mostly used, the disk will still function. If the disk does fail, you will get an autosupport and relevant messages. As long as you have a spare disk available, the failure will be handled by the NetApp without issue.

Public