Subscribe
Accepted Solution

inode count on volume

did any see thw case where volume ran out of inodes.

-- did you increase the vol size or

just increased the inode count, if so any perf issues.

Re: inode count on volume

Generally, i increase the inode count. Never seen issues with performance.

you need ot increase the inode count.

monitor with df -i, then increase with maxfiles... you can increase but can't decrease the inode count but I haven't seen any noticeable performance issues although it is one of the warnings

increrased the maxfiles couple of days back..

but want to know any seen perf issues down the lane after 5-6 months later.

I haven’t noticed any…but good to use performance advisor and perfstat if you want baseline performance information.

thanks. will keep an eye on those volumes and see how they are performing.

Hi Reddy,

Simple concept: Each 4K block is 1 node. lets say you have 1TB volume, the number of inodes you can have is: (1024 * 1024 *1024)/4= 268435456 inodes. The best practice is use upto 75 to 85% of nodes of  a volume. If you further need the inodes, you better increase the size of the volume and increase the inodes after the threshold is reached (85% inodes consumption).

First 1024 is GB and second  1024 is mb and third 1024 is KB - This is just a note.

I hope this is very clear to you.

thank you,

AK G

with Data ONTAP 8.0, you can decrease the maximum inode count as long as the new value is greater than the current inode allocation range.

Good point... I recently reviewed that in the release notes so any version higher than 8 can now lower the inodes which makes it a lot more flexible.