ONTAP Discussions

iscsi lun mapping on vfiler

URADHAKRISHNAN

I am restoring a vfiler and iscsi lun mapping are not restored on new filer.  I did a migration of vfiler (did a snapmirror of vfiler vol and restored it on another filer), everything came up on the destination except lun mapping. So I am curious where lun mapping informations are  stored and how I can migrate it with vfiler.

Regards

Unnikrishnan

6 REPLIES 6

scottgelb

If you use vfiler dr, vfiler migrate, or data motion for vfilers, the mappings will be there since they are stored in the vfiler root volume.  It is a registry entry in /etc that has to be manually recreated if you manually create the vfiler on the target mirror... if you have a copy of the vfiler root, then you can vfiler create -r to reuse the root volume as it was before as another workaround.  But creating the vfiler manually (without -r) will lose mappings and also shares and exports that need to be recreated.

URADHAKRISHNAN

I was using vfiler create with -r option. All configuration except iscsi lun was in place. So I am curious where lun mapping informations are  stored and how I can migrate it with vfiler.

scottgelb

Got it… it should have come back but possibly the lun serial changed since a snapmirror and the vfiler wasn’t migrated but recreated.. will have to test out a recreate –r on a dr target.. I have done it on the source system after destroying a vfiler and all mappings come back… were the igroups still there but just the mapping missing?

URADHAKRISHNAN

I stopped vfiler on source and recreated the vfiler on new filer. Igroup was there but mapping was missing. I was doing a testing and i have a production migration coming soon.

scottgelb

So on the same controller and not the mirror target? I suspect the lun serial changing is the issue on a mirror.

URADHAKRISHNAN

Luns were also snapmirrored to new filer.

Public