ONTAP Discussions

onTap 8.1.7 on 2040 - default ssh password / no htttp access

DMITRY_UK

Hi All,

I am setting up new 2040 with a native shelf, two e0M interfaces are connected and have IPs assigned by DHCP.

I can ping it just fine, but can't connect through http or https at all.

According to the guide:

If you want to complete the setup process from the storage system's Web browser interface rather

than the console, you must configure the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).

So, it is configured now, why I can't connect?

By the way, device responds to ssh, but again I can't connect as I don't now and can't find default password for the netapp.

Please advice. Thanks!

Regards,

Dmitry

5 REPLIES 5

DMITRY_UK

I assume username is naroot.

aborzenkov

Naroot is default user for BMC, not for Data ONTAP. BMC does not support HTTP(S) - the only protocol is SSH and the only way to access Data ONTAP from BMC is to open console session.

DMITRY_UK

Spasibo.

Thanks for the reply, are you saying that the only way to set a new Netapp 2040 device is to use a serial cable? I am confused now as I've thought the whole idea of BMC is to use it with DHCP as a replacement of legacy RS232 connection.

It looks odd, as I said, I can connect to BMC but can't login using naroot and whatever password I've tried.

Regards,

Dmitry

aborzenkov

BMC does not have own users, it “inherits” them from Data ONTAP. Password for BMC “naroot” is the same as password for Data ONTAP “root”. So yes, you need to complete Data ONTAP setup at least once to sync users with BMC. At least, I do not know other way. May be, Scott knows some other tricks.

DMITRY_UK

OK, I've managed to set the 2040 up in the old-fashioned way using a serial cable, can login to BMC now as well, but using root user (not naroot) and ontap password. Still quite puzzling though and OnTap setup guide doesn't help either. Thanks anyway!

Public