ONTAP Discussions

ontap 8.2 cluster mode - logging into the cluster - which node will you login to?

MARTIN_NETAPP

We're new to cluster mode and we are testing our four node ontap 8.2 cluster. During ontap upgrades it will drop your ssh session if you are on a specific node (as the management lifs dont fail over).

This leads me to the question: How do I know which node ive been logged into if I just use the cluster name?

Ive looked at the event logs and cant see any info.... So does aanyone know how to tell which nod eyou will be logged into if you just ssh to the cluster?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

avbohemen

You will login to the node which has the cluster_mgmt lif (net int show). This lif can failover between nodes, and the default is that it is on the system-defined "clusterwide" failover group. That means the lif can end up on any data interface on any node (net int failover-groups show). Usually, the home interface is on the first node in the cluster that is installed. However, everything on the cluster_mgmt lif is customizable, so you may configure a different failover group, different home port, etc.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MARTIN_NETAPP

Ok so ive found out how to tell which node i login to 🙂

This command will put you to the local node shell:

Cluster>: system node run -node local

I guess the question left to answer is how does the cluster choose the node to log you into? Is it the node with the master DB?

avbohemen

You will login to the node which has the cluster_mgmt lif (net int show). This lif can failover between nodes, and the default is that it is on the system-defined "clusterwide" failover group. That means the lif can end up on any data interface on any node (net int failover-groups show). Usually, the home interface is on the first node in the cluster that is installed. However, everything on the cluster_mgmt lif is customizable, so you may configure a different failover group, different home port, etc.

Public