ONTAP Discussions

ontap8 7-mode two node HA-Cluster?

lacerte

Is it possible to configure two instances of ontap8 simulator "7-mode nodes" as an HA cluster  - in the physical world the nodes would be connected by two infiniband cards and "talk" to each other via the cluster interconnects... has anyone done this with simulator instances?  I'd like to see a "cf failover" and "cf giveback" in an ontap8 simulator.   Dave Lacerte  FSE

17 REPLIES 17

danielpr

In NetApp 7G simulator i have given a try, couldnt make it working. Yet to give a try in ONTAP 8 simulator. We will wait for some more input here.

Thanks

Daniel

radek_kubka

Clustering works for me without a problem in 7G simulator. Two instances run though within the same Ubuntu VM, so spoofing infiniband cluster interconnect is easy. Not sure how it is meant to work with ONTAP 8, 7G-mode.

Regards,

Radek

danielpr

Radek,

Thats nice to hear. Can you please share the config file ?

Thanks

Daniel

radek_kubka

Hi Daniel,

No problem with sharing, but what particular config file you after? (sorry if my question is dumb )

(and BTW: the two clustered sim instances I am running are v. 7.3.1)

Regards,
Radek

danielpr

Radek,

May be your /etc/rc and cf status command will be fine as of now. Can you  please share ?

Thanks

Daniel

Sebastian_Goetze

Hi Daniel,

a cluster in a 7.x sim is easy: (from the FAQ)

To configure the Data ONTAP Simulator for the (cluster)  Active Active Pair do the
following

CFO Step I:

Run the Setup and when it ask for the following say yes and continue the setup
     Would you like to install as a cluster? [no]: yes
====================================> Say yes to install the Active Active Pair
(Cluster) Node

CFO  Step II: Now you will find node1 & node2 simulators installed in the given path.

CFO  Step III: Run the setup script for each node and configure the interface which needs to
take over a partner IP address during failover.

Done that with 7.2.4, 7.2.5.1, 7.3.1, 7.3.2... Works like a charm.

(Alternatively use startup switches for the original install...)

What I'd like to know, just like the original poster, is if (and how) to do this with the completely redesigned Ontap-8 Sim?

(I don't have the HW -- yet - to run the 8-Sim 😞 )

Sebastian

danielpr

Sebastian,

Sorry for the delay in response. ONTAP 8 simulator i havent updated with the complete FAQ . The simulator blog is going for a complete revamp.

For time being i will try the same in my local lab and get back to via the Personal Message. Should be possible by this week to get back to you.

Thanks

Daniel

Denial

Dear sir,

please help us possible way to test HA failover on 2 node Cluster for NEtapp ontap 8.2.3 storage. while trying it's throghing error to not possible

Satendra Singh

hollandwl

I'm starting to look at ONTAP 8 7-mode and would like to know the answer to this as well.

Please, no more replies about 7.x simulator - I know how to do that and it is not relevant to the question.

rkeu

are there any news about this? is it possible to build a ha-cluster with ontap 8 7-mode? (i know how i can build a cluster with the version 7.xx)

perhaps a how to available?

nvandenberg

it is not possible in the current release it will be availble in the next release of the sim. 8.1.x and not in the releases of 8.0..x

Regards,

Niels

florian_schnelle

Hi,

as the 8.1.X Simulator is now available. How can I create a HA Cluster? How do both heads communicate?

Regards,

Florian

remckinna

Hi,

Did anyone get the 8.1.x Simulator 7-mode HA cluster to work?  It was supposedly promised in 8.1 but I see there is no license key for 'cluster' in the 7-mode license key list.

Ron

scottgelb

8.1 7mode doesn't pair clusters. I heard it was being looked at but didn't make it in this vsim.

fferencik

Any update in this?

SAMUEL_HART

Would like also to run 8.1 7mode on HA, have anyone a cf license?

Ananth

Hello,

I find a license for cf : JQIGWWF

I do the change of the S/N on the second node, but I can't still do it working.

DOT812-7M> cf status

DOT812-7M cluster monitor not initialized.

(null).

Partner is unknown

Public