ONTAP Discussions

size of snapshots

deygaurab

Hi Folks,

Is there any way by which I can determine the total space used by the snapshots in a volume?  I have a task to determine the total space used by all the snapshots for all the volumes in a filer? Do I have to look at ops manager for this?

Another query, for the following volume, is 15GB the total size used by the snapshots in that volume. The snap reserve for the vol is 0.

/vol/vol_AS1_RED/         60GB       35GB       24GB      60%  /vol/vol_AS1_RED/

/vol/vol_AS1_RED/.snapshot        0GB       15GB        0GB     ---%  /vol/vol_AS1_RED/.snapshot

Regards,

Rahul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cedric_renauld

Hi,

For the second query, if your vol have no reserved space for snapshot, when you take snapshot, or snapmaager too, the space is provide directly by the volume, by the  production space

For your first, yes OnCommand could be the best way, for this type of query, but in CLI you can do, some command, like Snap list, to list all san in all vol, or snap delta to check the space, required by the snapshot.

But Oncommand could be more graphical view for you

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

cedric_renauld

Hi,

For the second query, if your vol have no reserved space for snapshot, when you take snapshot, or snapmaager too, the space is provide directly by the volume, by the  production space

For your first, yes OnCommand could be the best way, for this type of query, but in CLI you can do, some command, like Snap list, to list all san in all vol, or snap delta to check the space, required by the snapshot.

But Oncommand could be more graphical view for you

martin_fisher

Hi,

You could run a "df -g" command from the CLI, which would provide the same results as the volume info you posted in your original post, but the command will run for every volume on your filer, if you want just a total percentage or GB used figure.

Snap Delta will definitely give you the individual Snapshot sizes for each snapshot of each volume, but it could be a long task running this command for all your volumes. As Cedric mentioned OnCommand or the older DFM operations Manager will give you a more graphical output and certainly in DFM, you could exprt stats to CSV.

Martin

deygaurab

Thanks much Cedric and Martin

deygaurab

From the output I pasted earlier. Is it quite right to say that 15Gb of space is occupied by snapshots?

/vol/vol_AS1_RED/         60GB       35GB       24GB      60%  /vol/vol_AS1_RED/

/vol/vol_AS1_RED/.snapshot        0GB       15GB        0GB     ---%  /vol/vol_AS1_RED/.snapshot

-Regards

Rahul

martin_fisher

Yes its right to say that. If you run a snap list for that vol, you will get a list of the snapshots that are taking up the space.

Public