snapmirror base data transfer bast practice

rakeshbhuvad

Hello,

how can i transferred base data to DR site

1)Storage FAS2040 primary and DR

2) Total 800GB data

3) Don't have FC tape to transferred base data to DR site

4) Network bandwidth 2Mbps

what is solution for transferred base data?

Regards

Rakesh Bhuvad

11 REPLIES 11

aborzenkov

Bring DR filer physically to primary site, setup snapmirror and initialize it there and then move DR filer to DR site.

rakeshbhuvad

It is not possible DR filer bring to primary site, any other solution lik to take backup on disk?

aborzenkov

1. Loan tape drive. Really, I do not believe it is impossible ☺

2. If you have enough space on source filer (you will need to store all data that is going to be replicated) it is possible to do “snapmirror to file” (similar to “snapmirror to tape”). This option is available in diag mode only, so you are strongly advised to contact support before doing it.

mcope

If you have a shelf of empty/spare disks on the primary system, you could create a new aggregate and volumes and do a local SnapMirror to them.  I would then create a manual snapshot on the source and destination volumes (an extra precaution to ensure you have a common snapshot that can't be deleted by the snapshot retention policy).  Then you would need take downtime to remove the shelf from the production system.  Ship the shelf to the DR site and attach it to the DR systems and resync the SnapMirror relationship.

An alternative would be to enable SnapMirror compression to reduce the amount of data transmitted and set the replication throttling options to prevent SnapMirror from consuming all of the WAN bandwidth.  Of course, it could take weeks to transfer all of the data but it wouldn't involve purchasing additional hardware.

aborzenkov

One more possibility is to use lrep if QSM is an option. This allows to transfer data directly to (removable drive on) PC and then play back on DR site.

rakeshbhuvad

Hello,

Thanks for reply,

You have doc or steps for this option.

Regards

Rakesh

rakeshbhuvad

Hello,

Thanks!

LREP can work on SnapMirror?

LREP is a logical replication utility that is useful for performing initial baseline (full) data transfers from a supported Open Systems SnapVault client or a SnapVault primary system onto a SnapVault secondary destination.

Regards

Rakesh Bhuvad

aborzenkov

Yes, it can work for QSM as I already said.

rakeshbhuvad

It require open system snap vault software to be installed?

Note

If lrep_writer needs to be run on a machine on which the Open Systems SnapVault software is installed, stop the Open Systems SnapVault service before using this tool.

aborzenkov
Public