ONTAP Discussions

snapmirror.conf edit during idle with restart checkpoint

davidrnexon

Hey,

Accidently i've edited the snapmirror.conf file while 2 of my qtree's were in idle with restart checkpoint status

When I try to break the relationship it tells me ""Please run "snapmirror quiesce" on this destination""

Now when I try to quiesce the relationship it just tells me "could not find source filer".

The Destination filer is a vfiler

I've also tried to release one of the relationships from the source of which one was successfull.

Any ideas on how I can remove these two mirrors from the destination and start again ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

davidrnexon

Guys, with the help of Netapp support we came to the following resolution:

No matter what we tried snapmirror break, abort, quiesce, release whether be on the source or destination just wouldn't remove the relationship on the destination (remembering that it had been removed from source, so it was kind of orphaned there)

On the destination:

priv set diag

snapmirror break -h <destination path>

priv set

This made the qtree read/write. I could then do snap list, look for the snapshot of that qtree and snap delete it. Once I deleted it, it removed the snapmirror relationship, i.e. no entry listing in snapmirror status

Hope this helps out others too

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

aborzenkov

Why cannot you just add them back to snapmirror.conf? Removing entries from snapmirror.conf does not cause mirror relationship to disappear, unless you did something else.

davidrnexon

@aborzenkov, I have tried putting the entries back in, but in the snapmirror log it still says no access to source. Even though I have other snapmirror relationships to the same source working correctly.

So as it stands, performing a snapmirror status on source does not show the qtree relationship, doing a snapmirror status on destination shows the qtree in relationship.

Is there anyway to manually remove this entry from the destination ?

aborzenkov
performing a snapmirror status on source does not show the qtree relationship

This simply cannot be the result of editing snapmirror.conf, so you obviously did something else.

Could you paste exact output of "snapmirror status", snapmirror quiesce", and "snapmirror break" commands on destination?

davidrnexon

Guys, with the help of Netapp support we came to the following resolution:

No matter what we tried snapmirror break, abort, quiesce, release whether be on the source or destination just wouldn't remove the relationship on the destination (remembering that it had been removed from source, so it was kind of orphaned there)

On the destination:

priv set diag

snapmirror break -h <destination path>

priv set

This made the qtree read/write. I could then do snap list, look for the snapshot of that qtree and snap delete it. Once I deleted it, it removed the snapmirror relationship, i.e. no entry listing in snapmirror status

Hope this helps out others too

Public